As the title suggests, what do you think about noindexing forum threads with no replies??

We do it here once we got hit by Panda the first time around, but then we recovered, and now we're hit again, and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to remove it.

We were doing it because I would classify those pages as "thin" pages because there's no response to the question being posed. I hate doing a google search and ending up at a page only to find that the question I have is there but no solution.

Then again, perhaps if smart people stumbled upon the thread as a result of a google search, and they knew the answer, they might be inclined to help the person out. Maybe it will foster more responses??

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I don't know how it changes things in the search results, but I do know that I also hate doing a google search and coming to a forum and finding my question but no answer on that thread. So personally I like the idea of noindex those threads.

The thing is that while we remove the noindex once threads have replies, it counteracts what would otherwise be Google's near-immediate live index where newly created pages would otherwise appear in the index almost immediately. Instead, we have to wait for Google to come around to reindexing the page again, whenver that happens to be.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I don't know how it changes things in the search results, but I do know that I also hate doing a google search and coming to a forum and finding my question but no answer on that thread. So personally I like the idea of noindex those threads.

I agree with big_k105. It would be nice if the no answer thread not be index so it would be easier to find other sources.

I hate doing a google search and ending up at a page only to find that the question I have is there but no solution.

I feel the same way if Daniweb could have an option to do that it would be very helpful in a way. In the long run I feel this will benefit Daniweb.

Then again, perhaps if smart people stumbled upon the thread as a result of a google search, and they knew the answer, they might be inclined to help the person out. Maybe it will foster more responses??

It really depends what question is being ask.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.