I have two pages indexed by Google. I'll call them New Page and Old Page for the purpose of this question.

Google prefers to show Old Page on in search results, possibly because it contains a couple more occurences of the keyword 'Page'.

I'd like to use a sitemap to tell Google that Old Page is less important than New Page. Searches for 'Page' should return New Page, unless someone specifically asks for Old Page.

What do you feel would be a sensible level of priority for Old Page in the sitemap, and how long should I wait for Google to respond to such changes?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi folks,

Since i have no idea about priority levels in an xml sitemap so guys share your ideas regarding this and its features

Setting a priority level for each page of your sitemap should tell the search engines which pages are more important than others. By default, when you submit a sitemap to the search engines your homepage gets a priority level of 1, and all other pages get a priority level of .5.

adjusting priority levels in an xml sitemap depends upon which xml file containing your targeted keywords you have to boost in search engine. accordingly you can set priorities.

By default, when you submit a sitemap to the search engines your homepage gets a priority level of 1, and all other pages get a priority level of .5.

Consider both pages currently have the same level of 0.5. By how much should I reduce the priority of Old Page?

As a starting point I could try reducing the priority of Old Page to zero; If search engines still prefer to show Old Page instead of New Page then adjusting sitemap priorities is a pointless exercise. On the other hand I don't wish to diminish the visibility of Old Page unnecessarily. Old Page is still relevant to certain visitors.

Has anyone enjoyed any success in changing search engine results with a sitemap? As a tool for webmasters, would you view sitemap priority levels as a sledgehammer or toothpick?

adjusting priority levels in an xml sitemap depends upon which xml file containing your targeted keywords you have to boost in search engine.

Sorry, I'm unsure what you mean Maya. XML sitemaps contain URLs, not keywords.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.