We have a financial site that scores on Google page 1 for most terms. We want to specifically target several states (due to licensing reasons), and hopefully improve our ranking when the user uses a state as a search term.

My thought is to copy my home page and then personalize it for several states and link it back to my home page. Will this in any way jeopardize the ranking of my home page? Also, any recommendation for local state/city/town rankings would be welcome. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

My thought is to copy my home page and then personalize it for several states and link it back to my home page. Will this in any way jeopardize the ranking of my home page?

Although this could be an effective solution, it could easily be considered a duplicated content. It is always best to build web pages from scratch. You can use the homepage as a template but completely redo all the content.

My recommendation is: create individual pages for those states and don't duplicate your homepage, as search engines frown at such practice. You stand losing the ranking of your homepage, if you duplicate its content. Make sure you add every targeted state in the Meta keywords and Meta descriptions of it's personalized page. E.g.: newyork.php will have personalized Meta descriptions as "New York financial investment company". So, when someone searches for "New York investment company", newyork.php will be served by the search engine. Use keyword variations that are similar, but not exactly the same.

We have a financial site that scores on Google page 1 for most terms. We want to specifically target several states (due to licensing reasons), and hopefully improve our ranking when the user uses a state as a search term.

My thought is to copy my home page and then personalize it for several states and link it back to my home page. Will this in any way jeopardize the ranking of my home page? Also, any recommendation for local state/city/town rankings would be welcome. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.