Hi all, does anyone know if it affects the way google ranks a page if most of the data in php pages is drawn from MySQL?

For example - a simple About Us page...

One page in php with all body text drawn from MySQL, versus, one page in php with all body text hard coded as html by temporarily jumping out of php

Has anyone got any info or had an experience on this subject?

Cheers =)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I noticed that nobody has responded to your question yet so I thought I may as well try to help you out a bit, perhaps point you in the right direction.

I can't give you the URL and I'm too lazy to change my profile to give you an easy clickthrough but ... try performing a search within the search engines themselves to find where they write about this stuff. All the instructions are within the search engines themselves. Go dig, it's all there for you. Happy SERPs.

Dynamic pages, such as those which fetch information from a database, do so on the server's side. Just like a static content page, they all return only HTML to the user's web browser. The only way a search engine can tell a particular page is dynamic or static is by the file extension - ie. php or .html.

Of course, if every single page of the site has the same header and footer and sidebar, that would be a clue to the search engines that there is some server side including or dynamic activity going on. Or, if there are millions of page ... odds are the pages are automatically rendered based on information in a database.

Keep in mind this certainly isn't a bad thing!! You only start getting into trouble with Google rankings when you start using crazy dynamic URLs like www.site.com/page.php?do=view&pageid=123&process=yes

... because then it just becomes way too apparent that all of this content is not only dynamic, but there are so many query string parameters, and someone can throw anything they want into one of those parameters, and make a virtually unlimited number of different pages!

A very solid navigational scheme and good content will be your best bet regardless of how you make up your site.

Keep in mind this certainly isn't a bad thing!! You only start getting into trouble with Google rankings when you start using crazy dynamic URLs like www.site.com/page.php?do=view&pageid=123&process=yes

What an awesome reply!! You have totally answered the question and then some, thank you very much

You're welcome.

Hi all, does anyone know if it affects the way google ranks a page if most of the data in php pages is drawn from MySQL?

For example - a simple About Us page...

One page in php with all body text drawn from MySQL, versus, one page in php with all body text hard coded as html by temporarily jumping out of php

Cheers =)

Hi,

Do you know about mod-rewrite in php :cheesy: this will help you to convert the dynamic URLs to static URLs, that helps in SE rankings. Let me know if you need any help :)

Do you know about mod-rewrite in php :cheesy

mod_rewrite is actually a part of the Apache web server and has nothing to do with PHP. In fact, it can be used with any pages Apache serves.

mod_rewrite is actually a part of the Apache web server and has nothing to do with PHP. In fact, it can be used with any pages Apache serves.

Hi,

Yes, this term is used to talk about the URL conversion. So i said "mod-rewrite". :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.