I read somewhere that someone would pay for me putting their links in my signature (not necessarily ME but anyone). Is that just a scam to get people to post their links ?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

One of the most common white hat techniques of search engine optimization (and by 'white hat' I mean endorsed and fully sanctioned by Google and all the major SE players) is to participate in forums and other social networking sites within your industry, linking to your site in your forum signature.

There are two main benefits to this. The first, and perhaps most obvious, one is that it will get you those beloved backlinks to your site. And as we now all know, high rankings in the search engines is based upon getting other sites to "vote" for your content by linking to you.

The second benefit is that by posting good, valuable content on various forums within your industry, you're going to become known among your peers as a leader in your field ... and subsequently, your website will earn a positive reputation by association.

For example, suppose I breed Poodles and I have a website where I provide a couple of articles about caring for Poodles along with information on puppies I currently have available for sale.

Sure, I can rack my brain spending hours every day trying to swap links with other dog websites out there to try to get the backlinks and cross promote myself ... with my competitors.

However, it's much more in my best interest to visit a handful of dog-related forums out there and use my knowledge to answer people's questions and post on doggy grooming and nutrition and all that other good stuff. This does three things for me: Firstly, by linking to my site in my signature, it gets me the backlinks from related websites so I can stay in the SEO game. Secondly, it makes ME well-known among other people in the dog community who frequent the forums (breeders, handlers, etc.) as someone who not only knows my stuff, but is also helpful and willing to donate my time to helping others on forums. This opens up prospective business opportunities for me through people I meet through forums within my industry. Thirdly, by linking to my site in the signature of all these informative posts, my site becomes associated with awesome knowledge and I become well-known as a reputable Poodle breeder.

Mind you, this only works if you really do know your stuff (i.e. you're not going around spamming other forums) and you post enough to earn yourself a reputation (which is always worth the time investment since the reputation is within your chosen profession). For example, should you or Narue link in your signature to a Software Development firm, it would instantaneously be well recognized just because it's yours, you're endorsing it, and us DaniWeb go-ers know that you know your stuff.

Now, sometimes site owners can appreciate this whole thing but just don't feel they have the time to become forum junkies and post in various forums enough to earn a reputation for themselves. It can be rather daunting when you're starting at post #1, after all, especially when you consider your online persona doesn't really earn a reputation until that one thousandth post. Or maybe they just aren't the most knowledgeable in their field or don't like helping people.

Whatever the reason, it's a common marketing strategy to pay people who ARE known forum junkies, have high reputations within online communities, and already have well respected and well established online personas to link to their websites for them.

For example, you can see how if Ancient Dragon, well-respected programmer and DaniWeb moderator with a position of authority in a community with nearly half a million members, linked to a Software Development firm in his signature, it would be seen as an instant testimonial for that company. And because DaniWeb members all know that AD knows what he's talking about, that Software Dev company quickly earns a positive reputation among DaniWeb regulars. It's viral marketing at its finest. And it's the way that social networking has blown traditional advertising out of the water. Think of it as the modern version of celebrity endorsements ... only you're the celebrity. And, because DaniWeb is so high ranking, all these links in every single post you've made all linking to their site doesn't hurt either ... there's definitely that aspect to it as well.

So there you have it. I certainly wouldn't call it a scam. But it is definitely an exchange of money for posting links. Of course, it only works when the poster has a high postcount on a popular forum and is well respected. If you want to give it a try, post that you have 'Ad Space for Sale' within the Webmaster Marketplace in the IT Water Cooler.

commented: Excellent :) +36

I read somewhere that someone would pay for me putting their links in my signature (not necessarily ME but anyone). Is that just a scam to get people to post their links ?

Those are good way to earn money.

You can join website like http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ , post few threads in programming section , after 15 days you can post "signature for sale" in link sale section , you can make as much as $40/link/month or more .

NOTE: I am not affiliated to digitalpoint .

You can join website like http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ , post few threads in programming section , after 15 days you can post "signature for sale" in link sale section , you can make as much as $40/link/month or more .

NOTE: I am not affiliated to digitalpoint .

Thanks for the tip, but that link doesn't work. I went to digitalpoint.com but could not find a forums.

Thanks for the tip, but that link doesn't work. I went to digitalpoint.com but could not find a forums.

Please try , it is up now.

why he/she said digital point forum ?? cause signature links over there are Do follow. here in Daniweb they are no follow :)

No it's just not a scam. It's another way to earn money. The only thing you can call it scam if you won't put their site on your sig after they pay you or they don't pay you after you put their site on your sig.

When being paid to post on forums, you have to be careful not to appear too obvious, or as a scammer.

It's not a scam. It's a good source of additional income.

Yes indeed, It is a good option for those who wish to earn some good money.

it is backlink
nothing
just sell your signature to those who need it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.