My main concern was the impression you were given when reading the vB posts:

"I believe, PirateReports' and Jelsoft's public image has been tarnished because of the way it was handled...

Perception is reality to most people."

I dont think I was involved in a "spitting match" but as a first time poster to the forums I must admit I was surprised how my wish to give a fair and reasonable response did end up being used against me.

I decided at that time that I would not respond to posts and I do not even visit the vB forum now.

What I can assure you is that I learned from the experience and have learned from the errors I have made which being human and working with a highly pirated product is unavoidable.

You have my email and if you feel I can improve further on my services I have no problem taking onboard helpful suggestions.

Howard

thank you.

A very professional response, which what I was looking for.

Again Thanks!

Well,

vB is installed
vBAdvanced CMPS installed
RSS feed installed (very cool. I always love the "free" news from other sites)
RSS generator updated.. and now...

I am trying to find some article writers (and have some excellent leads), moderators and posters.

How would you kick off the varioous discussion groups? Right now the are all empty...

I think you are all a little insane. First of all your average visitor does not give 2 sh*ts about what forum software you are using. They are there to find answers. Now in the case of a "techie" forum...some might care.

IF you need a forum that will allow you to add code to the core and do all sorts of crazy things like manually adding blogs and etc go with vbullitan.

IF you just need a forum that is easy to handle and has a lot of good features go with phpBB. Its free.

For those of you who have not done your homework on this subject I have found numerous successful website with thousands and even hudreds of thousands of registered users on phpBB forums.

Look at it this way...your average visitor likely does not even know they could get phpBB for free...even if they do, they will think it is much to difficult to install.

Take care,
Keith

LOL! I guess if I was more pragmatist, this would make complete sense. Too bad I am an optimist entrepreneur. And as an entrepreneur, I have to be an optimist. So $280 for me will be an investment, not "money down the drain". If it fails, which it won't, I can chalk it up to a positive learning experience.

LMAO...So in your "entrepreneur" world...you have so much money you just spend it on software you could get free (vB vs phpBB)

Here is my senario,
I will install phpBB, start an online money making website, and if it fails, which it won't (right), I can chalk it up to a positive learning experience...oh and I didn't lose any money :)

If you are interested in discussing internet business ideas you can email me at << my email >> and I will share with you some of my thoughts and we can learn from each other.

I have had a few site fail to make me rich but I have not had one site fail completely. Check out << my site >> and you will see I installed a phpBB forum there. The adwords bring me about $100/month, that is $90 profit every month after hosting and registar fees. Did it fail? Well it is not a huge success and the forum is hardly ever visited but people do read the site from cover to cover clicking on ads. I give them something of value and they give me clicks.

<< my site >> is another example of phpBB installed. Only this time you only get access to the forum after you have paid for one of my products. Did this site fail? Hell no :) Not only that but I have still spent $0 on a forum and still have completely useful forums. When you start out poor online you learn how to do things professonally without spending all the money. Now that I have money I use most of it to advertise to get more affiliates and more leads.

Anyways, hope I have not offended anyone. I am not knocking vB. I just think if you don't need all the extra techie stuff vB gives you then get the free stuff.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOVE IT! FIGHT :twisted: :twisted: FIGHT! Just kidding.

1. how much money you spent on purchasing phpBB
  2. how much money you spent on purchasing modifications
  3. how much does 1 hour of your time worth to you
  4. How much time you have spent on installing phpBB
  5. How much time you have spent on installing each and every phpBB modification
  6. How much time do you spend on managing phpBB
  7. How much time you spend on managing each and every one modification
  8. How much time you spend on managing users
  9. How much time you are spending on managing posts
  10. How much time you spend on managing content

Now for the big question:

How much does 1 (one) hour of your time worth?

See, it is easy to compare hard cash, but much more complex when you consider the soft costs... So, for me vB does make complete sense. My time worth money, therefore the less I have to touch the system the less expensive it is.

Your shot. :mrgreen:

(You want a real fight? here - it's like Windows Server vs. Linux server)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOVE IT! FIGHT :twisted: :twisted: FIGHT! Just kidding.

1. how much money you spent on purchasing phpBB
  2. how much money you spent on purchasing modifications
  3. how much does 1 hour of your time worth to you
  4. How much time you have spent on installing phpBB
  5. How much time you have spent on installing each and every phpBB modification
  6. How much time do you spend on managing phpBB
  7. How much time you spend on managing each and every one modification
  8. How much time you spend on managing users
  9. How much time you are spending on managing posts
  10. How much time you spend on managing content

Now for the big question:

How much does 1 (one) hour of your time worth?

See, it is easy to compare hard cash, but much more complex when you consider the soft costs... So, for me vB does make complete sense. My time worth money, therefore the less I have to touch the system the less expensive it is.

Your shot. :mrgreen:

(You want a real fight? here - it's like Windows Server vs. Linux server)

Nice Try. But I am not shot yet :)

Answer to your questions:
[*]how much money you spent on purchasing phpBB -- $0
[*]how much money you spent on purchasing modifications -- $0
[*]how much does 1 hour of your time worth to you -- $a lot more than 0 :)
[*]How much time you have spent on installing phpBB -- how ever long it took me to log in to my hosting account and click the one button install using something called fantasio or something like that (about 2 mins)
[*]How much time you have spent on installing each and every phpBB modification -- No need to modify it. It works just fine the way it is right now.
[*]How much time do you spend on managing phpBB -- about 10 mins every couple days answering questions.
[*]How much time you spend on managing each and every one modification -- none
[*]How much time you spend on managing users -- none
[*]How much time you are spending on managing posts -- same as above time
[*]How much time you spend on managing content -- 20 mins a month tops.

Now you answer the same questions and I bet you spend a lot more TIME and MONEY than I have.

Take care :)

Are you telling me that your installation never needs upgrading?

I was passing and thought I would see how the vB verses others debate was going on.

What I have found interesting in my very minor intrusion into the world of forum posting it that whatever your ideas and opinions there is always going to be someone else who approaches the same issue from a different angle.

It often seems that we try to convince someone else that our view is the right one when a very small variation in need can make all the difference.

I think it could be said that many companies responded to piracy with "try before you buy" due to the fact that many prospective users quite fairly pointed out that buying a product only to find that it either didnt fit the intended job or was not as good as a competitor product was not the way to consumer loyalty.

Many companies will "test the water" with a free product but if its good why not market it and use the income to extend the product.

If phpBB are happy with the route they have taken then thats fine too.

I see many end users who have both vB and another forum depending on the nature of what they are doing.

They upgrade or downgrade as the need suits.

Healthy competition is good and it extends the boundaries of ideas and expectation.

I respectfully suggest that you are all "right" because you are spending your money in a way that makes you happy. That can be half the fun you know :p

Enjoy your forums

Howard

Ok... completely out of whack...

I have quite a lot of articles, purchased, written, RSS and there is a few, I mean very few members too.

I have started discussing a template with a developer that was highly represented on vBulletin.org and his name popped up everywhere... regarding vB templates.

He came up with a look, I told him ok let's do it... and that was the end of it. I haven't heard back from him in a month, despite several follow-ups... Hmmm...

So... Now what?! I have a look, but ... I cannot "take it". It doesn't feel right, yet, the person telling me they will develop it no longer responding to me! And I was going to pay $120 for it.

Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

bump.

I could really use some leads, even if it's through a pmail.

thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.