mine is doing terriblw in about months i have 3 members :cry:

Well, yeah. You're not doing any of the things you're supposed to do to make a forum successful. Here, I'll give you a checklist:

• You need a signature. You've mentioned your forums without linking to them in the post or having a link to them in your signature. You can find the signature options in your profile or user control panel. Do this on every forum of which you are a member.
  • If you are not a member of forums that are similar to your own, you must go now and become a member, and make posts, always including your signature. Your forums are about cricket, so maybe you won't go to another forum specifically about cricket. That might be too aggressive with a direct competitor. But you should certainly be on a few sporting forums, especially if the subject of cricket might come up. You should make smart posts that might be so helpful that people click on the links in your signature, just to see what kind of things a smart guy might do.
  • You need to send an email -- personally written, not a spammy form letter -- to at least a handful of Web sites that deal with cricket, but may not have forums. They may mention your site as the place to go for discussion, or just list it as an additional destination for fans of the game.
  • Your forums are stuck on the default theme, subSilver. You've got to learn how to add and then change themes. If you want to be truly unique, you'll need to learn how to modify a theme so that no one else offers your look & feel.
  • You need to learn how to add mods to phpBB. Maybe you can't do that at your current free host. If so, then you'll just have to take the hit and accept that your forums can't grow as fast. The mods make a huge difference. There are usability mods (coded by moi, thankyouverymuch), interface enhancements (the quick post one is popular and useful), and other very useful mods that can cause your board membership to grow more quickly. For example, I started a board and got complaints that people were intimidated by the signup procedure. It's the same procedure that every phpBB board uses, right? Well, yeah, it's the default. But I found a mod that makes the signup process short & sweet -- only 4 or 5 fields to fill out and you're done. Suddenly, I had a boost in new members. The proper mods will always do wonders.
  • You need to have an added value, and you don't. Not from what I can see, at least. I built a forum for writers, but the Web site isn't just the forum. It includes tools and resources to help writers get published. I built a forum for PHP and phpBB programmers, but the Web site isn't just the forum. I give away free code and phpBB mods. You see? There are other reasons for people to come to my forums. This is very important when you start, because your forums are empty. So people think, why bother? Well, give them a reason to bother, and see if they stick around. Some always do.
  • You haven't seeded your forums. There are many ways to do this, but it has to be done. That is, you must establish some topics for discussion right at the start. You can invite family and friends to pitch in for a few weeks. See what they post. Or you can contact people in the cricket community, people who you trust to post intelligently or at least provocatively, and see what they post. Or you can make yourself a few sock puppets (fake accounts) and have conversations and debates under various names. I personally hate that idea, but I've seen it work. But it's not going to work for me, I can't write with multiple personalities. All my writing is obviously the same person. I like the final and more honest approach: I just posted, by myself, topics of interest. I did that for a while. Eventually, people chimed in.
  • Last suggestion. Throw money at it. If you use Google Adwords to run text ads, you'll get members. Even if you just put $10 into it. Or you can run contests, give away a set of new cricket equipment. Or give people $10 via PayPal if they'll write a blog entry about your forums. You see what I mean? Money will cause things to happen, like it or not. If you can't invest because you're a poor student or whatever, work an extra 2 hours at your job. You don't need a lot of money, but some can help. What you put into the board will pay off.

-Tony

well my forum member have nearly doubled since i posted last i got 5 which is still pretty low and look i have put my links on my signiture

I just started a forum a few days ago. Don't have any members yet, but I'm working on it. I just don't like pressuring people into moving to my forum. I mean, I wish it was easier for them to find by themselfs rather than me having to annoy them with invitations.

LOL why do we do this to ourselves?

I just started another new forum since I last posted here and I am going through the same angst thinking 'what if I build it and they DONT come?'

I have one forum that is fairly busy but it is very specific and is linked to another forum with closed membership so I don't need to worry about that one much.

But I just designed my first website and decided I wanted a forum attached to that, so that was straightforward enough, but finding the new members is not so straightforward unless you want to start shelling out cash.

<< url snipped >>

I've just been reading some of the other advice on these threads trying to see if there is something I haven't already done but I really don't know what else to do without resorting to handing out cash. Since the forum is just for fun and I don't get any financial gain out of it, I am a bit reluctant to do this as I am already paying for hosting, domain name etc etc

I don't know what else to suggest as I am in the same boat so to speak, but I do wonder why we do this to ourselves sometimes LOL

Elliel

I put my forum on the site from the very beginning but then didn't do anything with it until recently, its still a baby with 9 members and 64 posts :o .

I am now actively promoting it and am trying to develop the forums by making informative posts that will develop conversation. Its fun watching it grow, even if its only 1 member a week!

Its phpBB2 and I have some intentions to apply mods to make it different and more useable going forward but look forward to 12 months time when the place will be rocking..(wishful thinking if nothing else hehe)

Take a look and see what you think : << url snipped >>

All comments appreciated.

Mike

My forum has been up for 9 months....

Forum Members: 1,777
Total Threads: 4,842
Total Posts: 51,467

Wow that's really excellent but do you do it?

I would be happy with a quarter of what you have, so spill, how do you get all those members and active posters too?

Hi, I'm new here, I have a forum that's about 2 months old. I have 32 members, although I haven't been agressively promoting it due to recent surgery I had. However, I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. I tend to get a few signups here and there, just when I think everyone's forgotten all about it. My biggest problem though is that my members seem to be too shy to post. I'm going to try to come up with some form of incentive, perhaps a contest or a freebie for a limited time. What do you think? It's a free dating site, by the way. Good luck to all of you also. Getting the members at first is the trickiest part. I will be no doubt getting into adwords soon also. Thanks everyone for sharing your tips, I have devoured them all, LOL!

I've been looking around this site for some ideas I can use until I'm ready to pay for google adwords. I have submitted it to a few more directories and I have written an article about dating and placed it in an article directory, with links to my site. I feel like I'm actually doing something more useful about it now, LOL I'm rapt to have found this site, and I really think I'm just going to read and read as much as I can, and apply what sounds like it makes the most sense. Thanks so much for this site, it's been a godsend for me!

My forum has been up for 9 months....

Forum Members: 1,777
Total Threads: 4,842
Total Posts: 51,467

nice and clean design...keep it up!!! :)

This forum is meant to be a discussion of how to build online communities of all kinds (forums, blogs, chats, etc.) - how to draw members, contributors, etc. - without being site specific (please note our policy).

It has been a huge problem in this thread with people disobeying the site specific rule, and our moderators have spent hours we simply don't have, here snipping out URLs to comply with forum policy.

I'm therefore going to close this thread. I apologize to those who did get something out of it and to those who followed our policy in their contribution to this thread. Please post your questions as new threads.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.