Does anyone know about the legalities of storing credit card information to use later? Specifically, we want to start accepting political donations but our Click and Pledge account is not set up yet. Can we create a database to store the credit cards and amounts and then, acting as the donor themselves, enter that information into our Click and Pledge site?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Does anyone know about the legalities of storing credit card information to use later? Specifically, we want to start accepting political donations but our Click and Pledge account is not set up yet. Can we create a database to store the credit cards and amounts and then, acting as the donor themselves, enter that information into our Click and Pledge site?

Not sure about the legaleze but I would NOT charge the donor on a date that is much later from when they originally authorized payment. This can cause a variety of problems, like the donor changing his/her mind, or insufficient funds when you finally go to charge the donor. It's pretty customary to bill the customer/donor on or very close to the time they authorize payment.

hope this helps! :)

According to the PCI policies you cannot store credit card information in an un-encrypted format at any time. This includes the card verification number which should never be written down anywhere.

Click & Pledge is a PCI level 1 certified provider and as a matter of compliance with the regulations does not store the credit card information at any time.

I strongly recommend that you wait until your account is set up before starting to accept donations. Should anything happen to the file containing the credit card information the damage will be unimaginable.

Please contact Click & Pledge support and let us see how we can expedite your account.

With Regards,
Kamran Razvan
Click & Pledge
CEO

According to the PCI policies you cannot store credit card information in an un-encrypted format at any time. This includes the card verification number which should never be written down anywhere.

Click & Pledge is a PCI level 1 certified provider and as a matter of compliance with the regulations does not store the credit card information at any time.

I strongly recommend that you wait until your account is set up before starting to accept donations. Should anything happen to the file containing the credit card information the damage will be unimaginable.

Please contact Click & Pledge support and let us see how we can expedite your account.

With Regards,
Kamran Razvan
Click & Pledge
CEO

Thanks for the reply. I think we're going to follow your advice and not do it. We tried to convince our customer this but they didn't understand the complications that could arise. I'm glad I got a response from you guys which should help convince them.

There are many legal restrictions stored in the database of the customer's credit card information. As brown town has said, you may be legal liability if anything happens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.