I've been trying to research the use of using Google Analytics to track email views, and haven't been very successful. I see people suggesting using visible logos ("web beacons or bugs") to track (to avoid being considered spam), but not how to implement this. Also I realize you can track the Click Thru Rate of the links within your email, but I am just concentrating on the number of users that will actually open the email. I realize the answer may be skewed if users have their image permissions turned off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Tracking the number of hits that a logo or such gets is the only way I know of to track email opens. However, with images disabled by default with so many email clients these days, the numbers are FAR from accurate.

You can't do this through Google Analytics, as far as I know, because GA has no way of tracking hits to your own image. You would have to use your own server logs, or a tracker that tracks image hits.

I agree with Dani, I have never heard of this being done with Google Analytics. In fact, I think it is very hard to determine the accuracy of images. I would be more inclined to think that it is easier to count the click through rate (CTR) on banners and links, but not necessarily on images. I may be wrong, but I think you are better off doing it that way. There are many trackers out there, I think it is a matter of trial and error. Testing a few of them and deciding which one works best for you.

Thanks for the responses; I'll try looking more into server logs. :)

OK good luck!

Create a page where you will land the people who will click on your links in emails and from there you will be able to track them.

Tracking the number of hits that a logo or such gets is the only way I know of to track email opens. However, with images disabled by default with so many email clients these days, the numbers are FAR from accurate.

You can't do this through Google Analytics, as far as I know, because GA has no way of tracking hits to your own image. You would have to use your own server logs, or a tracker that tracks image hits.

Then how this can be done?? any idea or it will be worth if you share a link.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.