Hi everybody,

this question might be subjective, but I hope you read it thru and help me come to a conclusion.

I am an ASP.NET developer.

I recently got in contact with a big company that sells products and wants to open an online shopping center.

We want to use (at least for a beginning) an open source project. We're considering either nopCommerce or Magento.

Obviously, from a personal perspective, I rather nopCommerce since it's in ASP.NET MVC which is my mother tongue, PHP is totally foreign to me (also I like a layered application, and I think ASP.NET MVC is layered better than PHP, this of course can be just BS, whatever). Anyway, for the sake of the company (that I'm supposed to be the developer), is Magento better than nopCommerce? If yes, is it so much better that it's worth I should learn PHP and develop it.

We could hire a PHP developer to do the job, but I'm a partner in the company, and we do want I should have personal control of the code (the website will also have additional service other than a shopping site).

I'd appreciate any comparisons of nopCommerce and Magento, any links and articles will be welcome.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I'd appreciate any comparisons of nopCommerce and Magento, any links and articles will be welcome.

If I was you I would stick with nopCommerce. It's just a platform. Unless you want to create a custom-coded e-commerce site then that's a different story.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.