After Dani shows me how she has reduced the steps to register here on DaniWeb I had to have it too :mrgreen:

So I set out looking at the vBulletin code to do 2 things:

1) Remove the requirement to accept the rules to be able to register
2) Simplify the fields shows to only Username, Passwords, E-Mail and Referrer.

I was able to get it:)

For the code you can check out this post: Simplifying vBulletin Registration Process

If you try it and run into any issues let me know! You will still be able to use image verification if you choose to do so, however I have disabled it on my board.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Your php files look good but your templates are missing information about a timezone and whether or not to accept emails from the admin, etc. If you don't want to make these choices available, you at least have to make them hidden form fields with the values you want so blank data isn't passed through when creating the user.

Thanks I will do that

<input type="hidden" name="options[adminemail]" value="1" id="cb_adminemail" />
<input type="hidden" name="options[showemail]" value="1" id="cb_showemail" />

Is this correct?

Also I can't seem to find the timezone inputs.

That's right.

For the timezone, use:

<input type="hidden" name="timezoneoffset" id="sel_timezoneoffset" value="$timezonesel" />
<input type="hidden" name="dst" id="sel_dst" value="2" />

It automatically sets a user's timezone to the board's default (ie what is used for unregistered users).

Does this really make a difference on the number of registrations you get per day? I am kind of interested to find out how much it helps.

I'm not sure - I've already done it. I guess it couldn't hurt? Makes things look real simpler for the end-user and it doesn't make them feel like they're signing their life away.

I'm not sure - I've already done it. I guess it couldn't hurt? Makes things look real simpler for the end-user and it doesn't make them feel like they're signing their life away.

Exactly. I want to make it as simple as possible to register on my site :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.