Hi,
I need to import a video file into an audio editor called Steinberg Nuenbdo. (on daily basis). In Nuendo, best format for video is avi. But my video converter only allow mp3 for avi files, not wave. In Nuendo, wave is best to import. Could anyone please tell me which video converter is best for my need or which video format is supporting wave audio. Thanks in advance.
-Vinod Chandran

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

This is a deep hole you've jumped into. Why I lead with this is that AVI is a "container" of content and does not dictate the encoding of audio or video. The same is said of MKV files.

So, the "best format" question is one that I will never answer except to write "the one that works for you."

Now if you want to edit audio, you may have to split off the audio from the AVI file first. There are tools I used in the past to do that step such as Virtual Dub. (Not an offer to write another tutorial.) Then the audio is in the clear for an audio edit. Once it's edited you can merge the audio track back into the AVI with Virtual Dub or tool of your choice.

While I mentioned one tool, there are others. Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=split+audio+from+avi+mpeg+tools

Hi rproffitt
Thanks for the reply. If that's the case, then i think converting the whole video into a wave file is the best idea. In Nuendo, there is an option to import a video file without its audio. And its really very fast. Then i can import the converted wave audio. But this method needs two conversion process. Because the video from my client is in mp4 format. (with a low bit rate - say 1400 kbps). For a smooth playing in Nuendo, it should be something around 3500-4000. So i must convert the video first. I dont need to edit the audio in Nuendo. I just want to play and watch the video and translate each dialogue into my native language. Its very easy if i can see the waveform image of audio so that i can plan my new dialogue's lenghth. :)

I use sony vegas for this

Yes, Sony Vegas is a good option and it works with many extensions, but it seems to me that there is no point in buying such a serious program for this purpose. There are options that are much cheaper or even free.

I hope your program has separate tracks for both video and audio. In this case, you can download the converted track for your video. It all depends on your needs, so tell us what kind of content do you make? I often cut highlights from my stream and I have to do a combined job where you need to connect different audio and video fragments. I don't like paying a lot of money for expensive apps so I've always managed to do my job in different apps. For audio tracks, I most often used clipconverter.cx where I always got quality material and it always happened very quickly, despite the time of the video.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.