I am trying to create an effect similar to the one on www.weezer.com on the left hand side. I am having trouble doing it, can someone direct me to a tutorial? Thanks!

Are you referring to the grunge effect on the lefthand bar?

Try getting some 'grunge' brushes for your photoshop, there's some free ones out there. I'll take a look and see if I can find the one I used to have.

~ Lacuna

Take a photo of a dirty grungy surface like an old table, wall, floor and so on.
Open it in photoshop and turn it into a black and white image (image -- adjustments -- desaturate)
Turn up the contast so there is good contrast between black and white.
Define it as a brush (image -- adjustments -- define brush preset) and voila, you have a new grunge brush!

You can also use the spatter filter on images and text to grunge them out.

or.. you can download premade brushes. Here's a decent site: http://www.dubtastic.com/resources.php


Nice, I'll check it out, thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.