Other than user interface differences dictated by the OS'es involved, are there any differences in the capabilities of components of Studio MX 2004 when they're installed on a PC (running WinXP (Home)) versus when they're installed on an Apple (running OS X(.x))?

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy Studio MX 2004, but I just found out that, from what the sales rep told me, you can only install it on one platform or the other - even though the CD comes with both installation executables. Needless to say I'm not pleased about that at all, since I wanted to be able to run it on the laptop I have now, and then install it on a new high-end Apple PowerBook I'll be getting next year. Which, even though I won't be running it on two different machines at the same time, according to the sales rep, means I still have to buy two - full priced - iterations of the same software!

So, that leads me to this post - would most certainly appreciate some feed back! :) TIA

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

well now, wasn't THAT informative!

so, no one, out of all of our members, is familiar with Studio MX 2004 and how it works on both the PC and the Mac?

so, no one, out of all of our members, is familiar with Studio MX 2004 and how it works on both the PC and the Mac?

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic20563.html
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07_jul/features/cw_macvspc2.htm
They are a bit old but reliable info.
The one refers to Flash on PC vs MAC. The other is a test with three machines, two pc and a mac, set up to run with similar ram and processing capabilities, then put to the test on different tasks. PC out performed in all phases.

I've had over 18 yrs experience on both systems. For my freelance work I use PC. I still use MAC at the publishing company I work for, BUT, they may consider goin to PC based production department since one of the lead editors is trying a publication redesign on a MAC using semi-new Panther version of OSx, gag, He wanted to know why we are still using MAC's at all. Panther is expecially stuffy when it comes to a PC based server setup, and I don't think we even need to mention MAC's and font issues, one thing I, VERY rarely, have to deal with on a PC. The OSx stuff is based on Unix now, making fixing bugs a pain in the keister. Better know coding if you want to correct things. PC may have alot of buttons and bells but if you have a little patience, they are there to help customize your environment to YOUR personal usage. PC OS are intuitive environments so they learn how YOU like to use your computer, making navigation alot more streamlined .

Please don't get me wrong, I dont hate MAC's, I just prefer PC performance for all types of graphics. I like being able to have 5 graphics programs open all at once without my machine crying that I have to shut off some of them before it will do what I ask it to. If I was going to spend a good chunk of money on a system for ME or my own business, will still pick PC! I like to be in control of the computer, not the other way around. :mrgreen:

from what the sales rep told me, you can only install it on one platform or the other - even though the CD comes with both installation executables. TIA

Is this true? if so I will be quite angry, i have a mac at home, and an old pc i just finished upgrading so i will be able to veiw/use some of the applicications on both platforms

Hello,

I have not seen the issues that Juno is complaining about concerning Mac performance. On the other hand, I have seen PC's and their inability to underline text properly from Microsoft Office, yet we take the same document over to Mac Office, and the problem goes away just fine.

Apple did have problems with OS X 10.0 and 10.1 --> printing was very slow, lots of things not firing properly. But it was shaking out the migration bugs, and people knew that.

The only real program that I have seen growing pains with on the Mac is Quark Express. The PC people have seen the same grief and agony -- so this is not an Apple problem, it is a Quark problem.

I like the way Macs work involving fonts and colorsync. If I have things that I need to do involving graphics, music, and DTP type things, my Mac is the first place that I will turn. The monitors are all color coordinated, the gammas adjusted, the hardware and software are all in place.

I have not tried out Tiger yet... I need a newer machine to work that OS, as my 1999 G3 is showing her age. As for running Dreamweaver MX on it, I like the way it flows, how the desktop works, and I have not had any connectivity issues with my FTP servers.

Christian

I know this is way tardy, but thanks all. My situation changed considerably after I started this thread and I wound up not going into business for myself, and as such no longer needed the s/w. I actually wound up relocating from NY to AZ and am attending college, and with studying and all I lost track of this thread, my apologies. Thanks anyway, as I do appreciate the feed back.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.