Which type of navigation do you prefer? Reasons would be nice too :D

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

A combination of both ;) For large sites, with complicated navigation trees, I use a top horizontal navigation for the major categories ... and then a vertical sub-navigation for all of the category-specific links.

For functionality and space economy, I like the top horizontal, but for more artistic freedom, I'd go with left vertical. I don't like sites that try to put navigation on the right... Just not used to looking over there :-D.

-Isaac

For functionality and space economy, I like the top horizontal, but for more artistic freedom, I'd go with left vertical. I don't like sites that try to put navigation on the right... Just not used to looking over there :-D.

-Isaac

Uh oh! :)

I use both. The top navigation I use to put company info (home, about us, etc.). I use the left navigation bar to list product categories.

Regardless, I think it's pretty standard that if you need a dual navigation, either you do a two row horizontal with row 1 being main and row 2 being sub, or you do a combo with horizontal being main and vertical being sub. :)

Regardless, I think it's pretty standard that if you need a dual navigation, either you do a two row horizontal with row 1 being main and row 2 being sub, or you do a combo with horizontal being main and vertical being sub. :)

That sounds right.

-Isaac

Me? Horizontal at the very top of the page and bottom, and then a menu, I wanna move around the site quickly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.