Hi there,

Just want to find out what the "standard" size would be for a background image that I'm planning to use in my site. The backround image will be fixed.

Thanks guys,

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Best is to use a very small image if it is one colour, and then tile it.

Hey Kraai,

The image I'm using can't be tiled. I has to be a big image that would still be able to be viewed properly across various screen resolutions. For instance, a photo cannot be tiled(okay it can but it's going to look stupid), so I need a size that would work for the majority of screen resolutions...

Yea, tiling only looks ok if it is a one colour image, as said. In your case, you do have a problem, ask me, I know!

The thing is, here you must now look at a middle way, where your image size is common to the majority of screen resolutions, without it be too large in kb size to slow down the opening of your site.

My guess is you will be quite covered if the image is 1280 x 1024 but make sure the kb size is not greater than 150 kb.

Excellent, thanks for the advice!

You are welcome, try it out and let us know!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.