Checked the images on this Nike site today http://www.nikebetterworld.com/ and found they were using multiple images at 1000 + kb per image and the site loaded lickety split!! How is this possible??!! I would love to be able to do this but am having trouble uncovering the info for how to. Any help?!

Thank-you =)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Assuming all things being equal... The only difference I can see is server bandwidth.

The likes of Nike and other conglomerate organisations, probably have the requisite cash reserves to host their websites on server architectures you and I can only dream of.

Think of it like you ordering 1000 do-nuts. The websites hosting you and I would use consists of one guy behind the counter having to dish up 1000 do-nuts...It would take him a long time right? Now Nike/google probably have 10,000 guys behind the counter. It wouldn't take them any time at all to dish up 1000 do-nuts.

A way to achieve a similar effect would be to dramatically reduce the image quality resolution...and have a preloader which waits to load all the images before bringing up the page.

commented: very, helpful and easy to understan, thanks!! +1

Thanks God, that makes alot of sense... which sucks for my new web design idea =( lol

Hmmmmm, the link leads to a 403 forbidden page :(

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Yeah not quite sure why that is...but if you do a right click open link in new tab.

Or just go to the smashingmagazine home page.

You should be able to find it.

Yeah not quite sure why that is...but if you do a right click open link in new tab.

Or just go to the smashingmagazine home page.

You should be able to find it.

Ahhh!! Brilliant!!

Thanks again =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.