Like, would a potential employer think badly of someone who had used tables for instance to structure the header and footer of their website?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I don't know about other employers, but I wouldn't look twice at a potential employee or contracter who used tables for the layout of a website instead of css in this day and age (obviously if the table had been used for what it was meant, to display data, then that wouldn't be a problem).

haha okay^^ thanks for that

Also, what about using negative margins?

Can you provide an example of where you think you would need to use negative margins (so I can advise)?

Okay, I'll try to describe it the best I can

So I have a banner (header) on top of my website with several elements inside of it. Some of the elements are of bigger height than others and I want them all to be centered within that banner (in terms of height) according to their own heights. I use padding on that banner but it doesnt center all elements accordingly to their heights so I have to change one of their margins to go slightly above the padding.

Hope that made some sense...

In this case then no, there is nothing wrong with using negative margins (I would use margins on the elements instead of padding in the header as I find it works better cross-browser and is easier to manipulate).

There are a few examples of how to do it on this website - http://bit.ly/uybHGA. Hope this helps

Dont worry,
use tables for layout, you would not be a potential employee anywhere,
problem solved

Dont worry,
use tables for layout, you would not be a potential employee anywhere,
problem solved

A bit rude. I doubt you, yourself were born knowing how to code - everyone starts somewhere.

It looks like you stopped after learning HTML and CSS, could do with learning some manners too.

I did use the intervening time learning how to read,
and think,
a simple search, either of Google or the search box on this site,
would return the consensus, current best practice, and negate the requirment for such a question.
Perhaps the rudeness of the reply is balanced by the ignorance of the question.

dilligaf

They poster is not being ignorant, they are asking for genuine advice and at least they asked unlike some who still seem to just go ahead and use tables for layout - we all started somewhere. All you had to put was that it was a no-no and suggest they search on Google. There is no need for rudeness.

true,
'49 I apologise snide comments are unfair, and mine were snide

I would like you to consider as well, I am your potential employer, the ceo of a below fortune 500 company, we do our 1 thing, and do it very well
assuming the resume submitted was syntactically and grammatically correct enough to not be binned
If you begin any part of your in-person interview with 'like', you are out the door.
my generation are remarkably, as demonstrated by me, intolerant.

commented: This person is rude, arrogant and unhelpful. -1

I did use the intervening time learning how to read,
and think,
a simple search, either of Google or the search box on this site,
would return the consensus, current best practice, and negate the requirment for such a question.
Perhaps the rudeness of the reply is balanced by the ignorance of the question.

dilligaf

No.

for a potential customer, Yes.. one who is in Professional Enviroments,.
but for a Beginner,.. not that bad,.
atleast, you will create somethiing based on your knowledge for the start,
after that you can learn Css and create Header and Footer of the site..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.