So I have a personal website that I want to be able to put pics on. Vacations and family photos, ect. The only reason I want to do this is so friends and family can view the pictures.

So my question is how safe is it to put pictures like that on the web where anyone can get to them?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Anyone?

If the site you host the pictures on has a secure encryption strategy there shouldn't be a problem about safety...

If the site you host the pictures on has a secure encryption strategy there shouldn't be a problem about safety...

How would I find out if it does or not? I dont see anything on their website... www.cirtexhosting.com

So what else can I do to protect my pictures?

So my question is how safe is it to put pictures like that on the web where anyone can get to them?

Depends on your definition of safety. Do you want to forbid everybody from finding them or will you be content with not having the main search engines display them in queries?

If it is a personal site chances are search engines do not regard it as important in the first place and it is very hard to find even when purposely searching for it. Further, you can tell search engines not to index your pages simply using the robots.txt file:
Creating and using a robots.txt file

If it is in the public, anybody that finds out the address will be able to see it. Your next step for extra security (if you deem it worth it) would be to add password protection to your site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.