I have an all-CSS drop down menu with a z-index set to 100. However, it still appears behind some form elements and flash advertisements. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Update: I just read that z-index only works with elements that have been absolutely positioned. Will give it a go :)

<< update: It appears I already am using position: absolute; for the div I would like to bring foreward. >>

Got it working, thanks to this knowledge base article: http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15523

Issue

A Flash movie in a layer on a DHTML page containing several layers may display above all the layers, regardless of the stacking order ("z-index") of those layers.

Reason

By default, browsers place embedded plug-in content, such as a Flash movie or Java applet, on the topmost layer. In older browsers attempts to place a DHTML layer on top of a Flash layer would fail. Newer browsers add the ability to layer Flash content with DHTML content and in some cases the ability to use transparent backgrounds in the Flash content (see below).

Solution

Make the Flash movie's background transparent using the WMODE tag. This will allow the DHTML layer underneath the Flash movie or layer to appear.

For details on creating a Flash movie with a transparent background refer to How to make a Flash movie with a transparent background (TechNote 14201).

Internet Explorer has had a long-time bug with select elements and z-index. Talk to your mod "Troy" about it, I know he's done a lot of research and has developed some workarounds.

Well this seems to have been a Flash problem. It wasn't working right in IE or Firefox before the fix on Macromedia's website (err, Adobe's website).

Is there two of you, or has cscgal just had a short coversation with herself above? hehe

Only kidding - Glad you sorted it out.

Ive just started with flash and I've realised how much cool stuff you can do with it - I think it's ace!

:lol: Martin :lol:

Hmm ... this still isn't working and I don't understand why. According to this page on Adobe's site:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14201

The background of a Flash movie can be set to transparent. This allows the background color or image of the HTML page that contains the Flash movie to show through and allows the layering of Flash content with DHTML content.

However, the DaniWeb CSS-based menu still renders behind the Flash ad in Firefox. GRRR ... any suggestions?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.