I hope I have the right forum, sorry I'm new here :o . Messages I send from my Hotmail to any AOL address are now being returned by the Postmaster. This is the message I get:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

(?)@aol.com

Reporting-MTA: dns;hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;mail.hotmail.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:36:58 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;(?)@aol.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;500 SYNTAX ERROR, COMMAND UNRECOGNIZED
LINE BY ITSELF
ELP
hich

It started with just one AOL address but now it's all of them.This has just started to happen and I haven't made any changes to my computer.

Any help much appreciated.

Sourdust

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Sourdust,

I am experiencing this same problem. I am a hotmail user and cannot send email to aol users.

Did you ever get this problem solved?

thanks
lissa7613

The first thing I would try would be to send email from aol to your hotmail accounts. does that work? It sounds like the problem may not be with your account, but maybe a hotmail or aol issue (then again, I am always a bit quick to blame microsoft :-) Also, try creating new hotmail and aol accounts, and try those (try a yahoo account too, just to see what happens. If those work, then the problem is w/ your current accounts. If not, then maybe aol/hotmail are having issues.

-hope this helps,

Thanks Vermonter & Lissa. I replied to your PM Lissa (I hope) and from what I have heard it is a MSN/AOL issue. The usual "we are aware of the problem and are working on it". Right after hell freezes over!

Sourdust

No worries. Glad to help. I know changing email addresses is a real pain, but I have had excellent luck w/ my yahoo.com email addresses, and would recommend them over hotmail/aol any day (again, I am strongly biased against Microsoft :-)

The problem is that when one aol users get a virus, it is usually sent to all the recipients in the aol-embedded address book, other isps don't have an address book beside in Microsoft Outlook. Since many aol users get viruses sent back to every one in their address book [even their friends that use hotmail], hotmail users can get viruses. This being a growing problem, hotmail no longer accepts mail from aol users which is a viral problem and an anti-aol stance.

My problem is the other way around. I get mail from AOL but messages I send from Hotmail to AOL are returned "undeliverable"

The problem is that when one aol users get a virus, it is usually sent to all the recipients in the aol-embedded address book, other isps don't have an address book beside in Microsoft Outlook. Since many aol users get viruses sent back to every one in their address book [even their friends that use hotmail], hotmail users can get viruses. This being a growing problem, hotmail no longer accepts mail from aol users which is a viral problem and an anti-aol stance.

Incorrect. So far almost no worms use the AOL address book to spread their junk mail. Almost all of the bulk mailing worms operate on Outlook exploits. AOL users don't get viruses in email as its all scanned before delivery is met.

More information is available from the AOL Postmaster site: http://postmaster.aol.com

Incorrect. So far almost no worms use the AOL address book to spread their junk mail. Almost all of the bulk mailing worms operate on Outlook exploits. AOL users don't get viruses in email as its all scanned before delivery is met.

More information is available from the AOL Postmaster site: http://postmaster.aol.com

Look i have AOL.I send mesages to hotmail.7 out of 10 times it's sent.All I get from these every time is a recite saying the person got it.

I am experiencing this same problem. I am a hotmail user and cannot send email to AOL users

I have been informed by Microsoft that AOL strengthened their virus & Spam protection last year and this blocks / returns a lot of hotmail
AOL are being obstructive in correcting this aberration Paul

GMail is even better (in my opinion) than Hotmail or AOL. It offers up to 2.7 GB of space, but it requires an invitation to get in. Here's a thread you might be interested in if you want GMail:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread10502.html

Ilike inbox, which is a lot better than gmail. you get 5GB of space, has album organizer, storage, and alot of other features. You don't need to be invited to inbox, so every one can have it. http://www.inbox.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.