For some reason when I insert a hyperlink in Dreamweaver MX and upload the page it does not work. The link should take me to my friends site, but when you click the link it tries to find my friends site inside of my site as if it were a page in my site. That causes it to go to "page cannot be displayed". Any thoughts on why it is doing this would greatly help me out.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

... when you click the link it tries to find my friends site inside of my site...

That is how I understand link to work, when you click on them they find the destination and display it.

as if it were a page in my site.

Or did you mean it tries to open the destination (your friend's site) in a frame on your web page?

That causes it to go to "page cannot be displayed". Any thoughts on why it is doing this would greatly help me out.

We would probably have to see your <a href....> tag, but the most likely cause would be that you have it pointing as a relative reference, rather than an absolute reference.

Dreamweaver defaults to using relative URLs, so that is probably the problem.

How do I change it from a relative URL?

The second hit on googling:
how to change a relative url into an absolute url

Was here.

The second hit on googling:
how to change a relative url into an absolute url

Was here.

Oh, for Pete's sake...

instead of <a href="page.htm">relative link to page</a> you would use <a href="http://www.yoursite.com/page.htm">absolute link to page</a>

I figured it would help if he read the article as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.