Could someone please assist me in modifying the following java script code so that it does a word wrap. It currently forms one long long single line.
Thank You ..Tim (I've spent 8 hours trying to solve it...frustrated!)

<p><b>Q10) Breed is not about traits as much as it is about pedigree. Pedigree means?</b><br>

<input type="button" name="submit" value="Answer!" style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BACKGROUND: blue; WIDTH: 100px; COLOR: white"
onclick="document.answer.Tim10.value = 'Having papers from the registering body that attest to their ancestry. A tracking registry.';">
<input name=Tim10 rows="2" cols="40" wrap="virtual" style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 1000px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none;color:red">
</p>

</p>

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound mean-spirited or sarcastic, but try a JavaScript Forum. Java != JavaScript

Secondly what you provided is not JavaScript only onClick action which take place on press of submit button. So put one and one together you are trying to steal somebody's work and have no idea what JavaScript is

Hi there,

Actually the JavaScript is there and its working well, but which Attribute you want to add in textfiels that doesn’t support! With this tag (rows="2" cols="40"), you should use the textarea for this functionality,

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

function get_Result()
	{
		document.answer.Tim10.value = "Having papers from the registering body "+ "\n" +"that attest to their ancestry. A tracking registry.";
		document.answer.Tim10a.value = "Having papers from the registering body "+ "\n" +"that attest to their ancestry. A tracking registry.";
		document.answer.Tim10.setAttribute("rows","5");
		document.answer.Tim10.setAttribute("cols","40");
		document.answer.Tim10a.setAttribute("rows","5");
		document.answer.Tim10a.setAttribute("cols","40");
	}
//]]>
</script>
</head>
<body>
<p><b>Q10) Breed is not about traits as much as it is about pedigree. Pedigree means?</b><br>
<form action="" method="post" name="answer">
  <input type="button" name="submit" value="Answer!" onclick="get_Result();" />
  <br />
  <textarea name="Tim10"></textarea>
  <br />
  <input name="Tim10a" type="text"/>
</form>
</p>
</body>
</html>

Regards,
Rahul Dev

or you can use the DIV tag to show the Answer!

code is here:

put in head

//<![CDATA[

function get_Result()
	{
		var divAnswer = document.getElementById('myDiv');
		divAnswer.style.visibility = "visible";
	}
//]]>
</script>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
#myDiv {
	visibility: hidden;
}
-->
</style>

and this in Body

<form action="" method="post" name="answer">
  <input type="button" name="submit" value="Get Answer!" onclick="get_Result();" />
</form>
</p>
<div id="myDiv">
  <p>Having papers from the registering body that attest to their ancestry. A tracking registry.</p>
</div>

onclick="document.answer.Tim10.value = 'Having papers from the registering body that attest to their ancestry. A tracking registry.';"

IS NOT a JavaScript, it is only action taken once button pressed, which will triget this action. So as it is on its own that code will do nothing

onclick="document.answer.Tim10.value = 'Having papers from the registering body that attest to their ancestry. A tracking registry.';"

onclick is a event

and "document.answer.Tim10.value" is a JavaScript

syntax : document.FormName.fieldName.value = "The value"

Like in this code I have used the two JavaScript syntax

1.) document.write("Strings")
2.) alert("Strings")

Example 1 :-

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" onclick="alert('Hello World'),document.write('Hello World')" />

we can write like this

Example 2 :-

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" onclick="JavaScript:alert('Hello World'),document.write('Hello World');" />

or

Example 3 :-
In <head>

/*<![CDATA[*/ 
function btnClick() 
   {
	alert("Hello World")
	document.write("Hello World");
   }
/*]]>*/ 
</script>

in <body>

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" onclick="btnClick();" />

All three Example will give the same result

[a valid, functional javascript function in an event handler attribute]

IS NOT a JavaScript, it is only action taken once button pressed, which will triget this action. So as it is on its own that code will do nothing

heck, I write huge javascript functions dynamically (on CGI/XSLT pages); directly into onwhatever attributes.

and i've never had any problems.

well that's a lie.

generally lengthly event attributes in HTML should be avoided where possible for managability, but sometimes it's the most simple solution: <body onload="alert({$STATUS});"/> for example, works nicely in XSLT, and the other language I'm using at the moment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.