Please do comment of which you think is better iTunes,or WMP.

I'd like to see how many people like iTunes cause i think it is rubbish

Recommended Answers

All 96 Replies

>I'd like to see how many people like iTunes cause i think it is rubbish
iTunes is very slow on Windows; likewise WMP is very slow on Mac OS X (even on the PPC Macs). The ported application is almost never as good as the original.

On Windows I use Windows Media Player, but since I'm on a Mac, naturally, I use iTunes.

iTunes is better, 100%, to me.

So what if its slow. WMP is a piece of junk.. iTunes is the best.

I like iTunes much better than WMP.

I also prefer iTunes. Does WMP have a playlist creation functionality like iTunes'? I couldn't easily find one after a few hours and gave up on the program.

yeah, infarction you just go now playing list > new list > playlist.

I've never used ITunes. WMP works just fine.

I figure out how to make a playlist, but hunting down songs to put on it was a huge pain. In iTunes you can just make a list and say stuff like "All songs with genre X and rating Y" or "All songs with artist X, or artist Y, or also on playlist Z" or somesuch. AFAIK WMP doesn't have anything of that sort.

iTunes is easier to navigate around. It was originally a Mac program, and what is easier to use that a Mac program? ;)

Well ~ I hate the way iTunes protects all of the music so you can't convert it into MP3 to work on other players, that's why i hate iTunes, i only use it to convert music my mates send me.

I figure out how to make a playlist, but hunting down songs to put on it was a huge pain. In iTunes you can just make a list and say stuff like "All songs with genre X and rating Y" or "All songs with artist X, or artist Y, or also on playlist Z" or somesuch. AFAIK WMP doesn't have anything of that sort.

yeah i just use "all music" as i only have music i like in my media library (and on the laptop for that matter)

iTunes is easier to navigate around. It was originally a Mac program, and what is easier to use that a Mac program? ;)

I can't stand Mac interfaces. They're so difficult to use. Windows and Linux are both much easier.

And I'm only being 1/2 sarcastic. But iTunes is pretty well done.

Well ~ I hate the way iTunes protects all of the music so you can't convert it into MP3 to work on other players, that's why i hate iTunes, i only use it to convert music my mates send me.

All my music is in MP3 format so I can move it around my computers/OSs as I want. Of course, getting stuff from the iTunes store comes in their protected format, but ripping from CD to MP3 isn't a problem.

yeah i just use "all music" as i only have music i like in my media library (and on the laptop for that matter)

I like all my music too, but out of the 4500 songs I have, lots of them don't go well with others. I prefer to have several different playlists for different moods.

>I hate the way iTunes protects all of the music so you can't convert it into MP3
Only AAC files bought from the iTunes Store are protected like that. Regular AAC files that you rip from CDs can easily be converted within iTunes, with a little loss in quality.

It looks like the majority of people here like iTunes best.

You can get an application called Switch to convert .m4a and .m4p files from iTunes into WAV, MP3, and more.

iTunes seems to be coming out on top here, I think.

I like all my music too, but out of the 4500 songs I have, lots of them don't go well with others. I prefer to have several different playlists for different moods.

ahh see, music influences my mood, rather than mood influence the music i listen to. In general anyway.

>> WMP is a piece of junk.. iTunes is the best.
Justify that! You can't just say something like that without giving any shred of proof to support your view!

>> AFAIK WMP doesn't have anything of that sort.
I think you can. It's called "Auto Playlists", and you can insert cite certain criteria which specifies the songs which make it onto the playlist.

I personally like WMP better, but that's only cause I have only used WMP properly. I have seen iTunes. It looks OK. I think WMP 10 (or is it 11? I can't remember which is the newest version), has most of the useful functionality that iTunes has.

commented: Gotta love common sense. +13

iTunes is alright but i prefer the layout of wmp, i don't care about playlisting everything ~ i just stick it on random generate mode (shuffle)
btw it's version 11 now iTunes is summit like 7.2 is it?

>> btw it's version 11 now iTunes is summit like 7.2 is it?

Yes, which obviously means WMP is better :)

or older

WMP. I hate itunes! I bought an ipod and used itunes for about a day before I got sick and tired of it.. I took the ipod back and bought a zune instead! I like it a lot better.. I just hate Apple so much.. I hope Microsoft just buys them out or they go bankrupt or somethn lol..

>I hate itunes! I bought an ipod and used itunes for about a day before I got sick and tired of it
And you should justify your view, too! What has happened to us? If you're going to make a subjective statement, make a few good points to back it up!

>I took the ipod back and bought a zune instead! I like it a lot better
Why?

>I just hate Apple so much
Why?

The Zune does not scratch as easily, it doesn't have s stupid click wheel, it has wireless capabilities, the screen is larger, etc. As for apple, I just hate them b/c I hate all their products. MACs suck, ipods are junk, and Apple is nothing compared to microsoft. Microsoft dominates the industry, and could probably easily overtake apple if it weren't for antitrust legislation.

Truthfully, theres no good reason that I dislike apple.. just preference. I prefer Microsoft, and I hate how apple puts a damn 'i' in front of all their products. Cisco should have won that law suit over the iphone..

How do companies compete?.
We fight for their product, we bash about their product, we preach about their product, and we pay for their product.
Every one gets what they deserve.

I love Itunes even before i got my mac i used Itunes more then WMP however i do like the idea that you can have a movie playlist in WMP where as quicktime does not let you.

Yes there is restrictions on the songs that u buy off of itunes but that is not really Itunes fault more the music companies forcing Itunes to do that. So really its a choice of a much larger range of music to choose from or a range of next to nothing to choose from but no protection.

Plus the reason that this music is protected is because its Copyright *coughserunsoncough* and its not meant to be sent to friends.

Besides there are still ways to get around the protection if u really see the need it just takes a little bit more effort.

>> As for apple, I just hate them b/c I hate all their products.
Haha. That's the best justification of anything I've heard. It's like when I was in school and my teacher gave us a definition of Gravity (Physics teacher), and the definition itself used the term 'Gravity' to describe itself! Crazy, eh? I don't like apple (cause I don't have an iPod ;)), but I recognise that their products are good. Sure they have made mistakes (bad nanos?), but iPods are probably the leaders of the portable music player.

I like WMP. I think it can do pretty much everything that iTunes can (aside from the fancy album scrolling thing which is neat). The thing is that's visual. Who cares what it looks like? You don't need to look at the computer, just listen to what it gives you. Sure easy navigation is necessary but they both have that - they probably spent enough to buy it. You have to get used to a program either way. Regardless if it's iTunes or WMP at first it's awkward but eventually you get used to it and grow to love it. Does it matter which you get used to? Visual impacts don't add a whole bunch to your listening experience. As I've said I've only used WMP but have seen iTunes. I haven't seen anything iTunes can do which WMP can't. I'm sure if one of them gets a new feature the other will mimic it under a different alias anyways. Either way you're probably going to win.

>> As for apple, I just hate them b/c I hate all their products.
Haha. That's the best justification of anything I've heard. It's like when I was in school and my teacher gave us a definition of Gravity (Physics teacher), and the definition itself used the term 'Gravity' to describe itself! Crazy, eh? I don't like apple (cause I don't have an iPod ;)), but I recognise that their products are good. Sure they have made mistakes (bad nanos?), but iPods are probably the leaders of the portable music player.

Yea, ipods are the only deceit product apple can come up with.. If Microsoft cared enough, the Zune would lead the mp3 industry by now! ipods suck.. just wait 'till the new zune comes out next summer!

Death to Apple!! lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.