Hi All,
I stumbled onto a quizzical phenomenon. I have a NEC tablet PC (Versalite) and a PDA. Both use stylus technology, both stylus look pretty much the same. Yet the tablet will not recognize the stylus from the PDA and visa-versa. Why? Anyone know? I'd like the education at least.:rolleyes:

The issue is this, the tablet pen costs $69.95:eek: and the PDA is around $5.00. I need a new tablet pen. :( See the problem. :cry:

Thanks much for your help and/or comments ahead of time.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It's wierd that the PDA won't accept it, my Tungsten C will accept any styluses. You can even use you finger. What kind of device are you using?

It's very possible that the stylus from the tablet is not just a mere "stick" that you poke to a digitizer-- it might be something pressure-sensitive, or have some kind of electronics in it that allows for different features within the tablet PC.

BTW, how do you like your tablet PC? I mean, do you actually find yourself using the tablet feature often?

BTW, how do you like your tablet PC? I mean, do you actually find yourself using the tablet feature often?

Actually, I'm a LIMS Administrator for a Corporate laboratory. We have 6 NEC VersaliteTablets on a WLAN. There's a stylus missing so I went back to the vender and learned about the high priced plastic pencil. I have been looking for a cheaper work around.

I tried the replacement tips by themselves and they dont work unless they are in the designated pen. Up front the tip and pen appear to be nothing more then plastic. I'm baffled.

Actually, I'm a LIMS Administrator for a Corporate laboratory. We have 6 NEC VersaliteTablets on a WLAN. There's a stylus missing so I went back to the vender and learned about the high priced plastic pencil. I have been looking for a cheaper work around.

I tried the replacement tips by themselves and they dont work unless they are in the designated pen. Up front the tip and pen appear to be nothing more then plastic. I'm baffled.

It's very possible that the pen itself has some type of RFID-type something or other, or some type of sensor in the pen that detects pressure, relative position to the tablet, etc. There's probably some kind of electronics built into that stylus, as it seems like the type of digitizer (gel/liquid type) that's used in PDAs wouldn't scale very well to a Tablet PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.