1200Mhz CPU, 20GB Hdd (Windows XP Home)

I've just installed another mobo,(it's a second-hand one, and I'm not sure if it's faulty or not) - Microstar MS-6368 ver:5, booted up and got this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 30

The first time I came across this message, the seconds counted down, I tried Start Windows Normally, and it looked as if windows was booting up for a second or two (the black and white progress indicator bar came up), then a blue screen flashed up really quickly (I think it may have been the scandisk message). Then the computer rebooted to the above message again. This time, the seconds did not count down, it remained on 30. I am able to arrow up and down.

I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Last Known Configuration but windows reboots each time. (After listing scrolls of windows system paths?)

When I connected the reset switch to the mobo, I noticed there was only one pin. It's connected across ways.

Do these results suggest the mobo is fine? What should I try next?

I have tried to boot from my XP Home CD, by changing the boot sequence - but I don't think my CD is a bootable one.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

when you switch a mobo windows NT usualy doesnt like a switch like that, most of the time ive needed to reinstall :)

Me Too!!

Thanks Faranth and Caperjack. How do I reinstall from a floppy? I've downloaded an XP Home boot disk as I've been unable to boot from the XP CD.

dud you try going into theBIOS/Setupand changing the boot sequwnce to cdrom as the first boot and boot from the winxp cd

I finally managed to boot from the XP CD, I reformatted and started installing windows. It got so far as to when setup reboots after copying the files, then this message came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Also, there is a noise coming from the case, sounds like a buzzing noise. Now the keyboard doesn't respond when I try to get into bios, or boot from CD.

Arrrghhhh

it really cracks me up when people dont know what the hell they're doing and you do.:cheesy: im not talkin bout any of u tho

Sorry^^^^

just a quick tip, when you change the mobo and this situation arises, windows starts to load and then reboots.

clear the cmos

boot up, and enter the bios. adjust the settings to what you want

then put the xp/2000 disk in the drive and reboot(i know your is not bootable, but this is just a genaral tip)

bootting from the CD use the recovery console (fast,automatic setting) and let the console reset windows to its defult config.

you should now find that booting into windows normaly will work an that your new and old hadware will have been picked up, without losing data.

spikes

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.