Hello,

Issue: In game sound and other people's voices are picked up and retransmitted causing an echo. Makes using Ventrilo impossible.

System: Win XP Home 2003 SP2
8600 GTS graphics card
Realtek HD Audio w/driver version 5.10.0.5366

It is a new hard drive, the previous one had the same hardware configuration and never had the problem. It has to be a driver/software issue.

Is there a better program than Realtek HD for sound? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

D

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The problem is that your mic is too close to the speakers or your speakers are up too high so you get feedback. Its not a driver problem.

I'm inclined to agree with jbennet. If you're pumping game sound and Ventrilo through your speakers, your mike is going to pick it up. I'm also assuming you're NOT using "push-to-talk".

I also use Ventrilo sometimes (and other similar programs). I pump the game sound through my speakers, but send Ventrilo through my headset. Now, this only works on a USB headset since that won't immediately redirect ALL sound like a standard headset would.

Each program lets you choose what audio device you want to use. Due to the nature of the problem, I'm assuming that either you have a USB headset or are using a separate mic.

When using anything other than ONLY a headset for sound and communications, I recommend making sure you NEVER use "voice activation" because pretty much any sound made will activate that mic, and when gaming, your speakers are ALWAYS making sounds.

Most people like making the "Alt" key their PTT button. I actually prefer the middle mouse button, myself. Alt is used by too many games for other purposes.

If your situation is not like anything I described, please elaborate more on your audio setup, including the mic.

I hope this helps.

rockstar99, did you ever get your problem resolved? If so, please let me know what happened and mark the thread as "solved" (there's a link below the last post). If not, please let me know what you tried so I can try again.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate your support.

The sound problem has been fixed. I reinstalled the audio driver and the echo vanished. I like using voice activated talk on Ventrilo because my hands are free to play the game, and the sensitivity is adjustable. Also, I use the headset with mike attached for sound and leave the speakers off. (It sounds better)

Thanks again.

D

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate your support.

The sound problem has been fixed. I reinstalled the audio driver and the echo vanished. I like using voice activated talk on Ventrilo because my hands are free to play the game, and the sensitivity is adjustable. Also, I use the headset with mike attached for sound and leave the speakers off. (It sounds better)

Thanks again.

D

That's cool. Yeah, the voice activation is fine if you have the speakers off...I just didn't know how you had it set up. Glad you got it fixed. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.