Ok so I dont know much about computers so this is tough for me. I'm hoping everyone here can help me fix my computer without having to reboot it or something I'm not sure If I even have a boot disc for it anyways. So you know when the computer freezes or whatever and you shut it down by the power button and it starts up saying start up normally or the other options? Well. After that part clicking on ANYTHING it starts to load up but then instantly restarts. I have tried running in Safe Mode. Restore previous known good settings. and even like debug mode an all that which I have no idea what they do @.@. Anyways its a compaq not sure about year or much more then its a Compaq laptop. And that is the problem PLEASE help me out with this. Thanks to anyone who can help in advance! :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Do you have a windows CD?

Ok so I dont know much about computers so this is tough for me. I'm hoping everyone here can help me fix my computer without having to reboot it or something I'm not sure If I even have a boot disc for it anyways. So you know when the computer freezes or whatever and you shut it down by the power button and it starts up saying start up normally or the other options? Well. After that part clicking on ANYTHING it starts to load up but then instantly restarts. I have tried running in Safe Mode. Restore previous known good settings. and even like debug mode an all that which I have no idea what they do @.@. Anyways its a compaq not sure about year or much more then its a Compaq laptop. And that is the problem PLEASE help me out with this. Thanks to anyone who can help in advance! :)

How funny, this is the exact problem my daughter is having. The problem started three days ago when she was playing the SIMS. She shut down when the game froze up. When she restarted she got the error that Windows was improperly shut down. She brought it to me (IT manager) and every option you try for reboot initiates a another reboot. From Safe mode on down, each option generates a reboot which brings you back to the restart options anever gets past the startup of Windows. My daughter's laptop is a one year old Compaq similar to the original poster's unit.

A Compaq problem I am thinking? A flaw with that line of processors or motherboards? We have Compaq laptop that is 2 years older that does not experience this problem.

Please let me know if you have an insight. Thanks!

Barbara Coleman

Yea see that was better explain :(. Anyways thats exactly what has been happening. Although I'm not sure of the year or anything. Please anyone that could help thanks in advance.

if you cant get into safe mode, you cannot do anything without a windows cd.

You will have to google the internet with your laptops model number and find out if a) it has a recovery partition or b) if recovery cds are available at a cost. This will erease all your stuff.

How funny, this is the exact problem my daughter is having. The problem started three days ago when she was playing the SIMS. She shut down when the game froze up. When she restarted she got the error that Windows was improperly shut down. She brought it to me (IT manager) and every option you try for reboot initiates a another reboot. From Safe mode on down, each option generates a reboot which brings you back to the restart options anever gets past the startup of Windows. My daughter's laptop is a one year old Compaq similar to the original poster's unit.

A Compaq problem I am thinking? A flaw with that line of processors or motherboards? We have Compaq laptop that is 2 years older that does not experience this problem.

Please let me know if you have an insight. Thanks!

Barbara Coleman

this is not a computer problem ,its a Microsoft windows problem ,the abrupt shutting down of the laptop caused the problem,windows was unable to write to the hard drive to properly shut down the laptop .you need to boot to the windows cd and do a repair ,you may get away with a chkdsk /r or you may need to do a fixboot,anyway at the repair prompt type in help ,for a list of commands

After trouble-shooting my daughter's laptop we found out her motherboard was fried. I hope you fair better!

Well for both of you since 1y and some months is less than the minimal guaranty for most companys first step would be taking it to compaq service.
If you'r into troubleshooting first step I'd try would be the mentioned windows cd, repair option is worth a try

Go inside the bios and check around,some bios r kind enough to let u know if they have some severe problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.