I have a Dell Inspiron 531 that was dual-booted with Windows Vista in my main partition and Ubuntu in a secondary volume. I was using the Grub Loader as my boot device. I was trying to extend my main partition and accidentally formatted the volume that I was shrinking which was the volume containing the Ubuntu and the Grub Loader. I have about 150 gigs of videos, music, games, and apps on the Windows partition and don't want to lose them.

So I didn't think anything of it and turned it off. Now I can't boot into Windows and I don't really want to use Ubuntu anymore. I tried reinstalling Grub off of the Ubuntu installation disk however the disk refuses to load. I tried upgrading Vista from the former Vista in hopes of getting the Windows boot device installed. However, it says I have to be in Windows in order to upgrade it and I can't get into windows without the boot.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

start the windows cd. There is an option for recovery mode where you can reinstall the bootloader.

On xp you hit R, login then type fixboot, dont know about vista.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't try it to see if it works instead I just got a copy of Ubuntu from a friend and used the GRUB loader from that to boot into windows like I've been doing.

okay

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.