About three weeks ago, my Viewsonic P220F screen began jiggling -- shrinking in (1/8" to 1/4" on both sides of the width) and popping back. It's sporadic and totally unpredictable. Seems to do it in all programs and on the desktop. I'm operating Windows 2000 Pro on a P933, Asus CUSL2 Mobo with integrated Intel graphics.

My son recently added some new stereo equipment in the next room but on the same wall; I rearranged everything (not an easy process!) in my office to move the monitor to a new wall. Now my computer speakers, the CPU and all other electronic/magnetic equipment are significantly removed (30" - 36") from the immediate area around the monitor. BUT, it's still jiggling...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Yankj49

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

not sure if this will work, but try moving the pc & monitor (w/keyboard & mouse) temporarily to the furthest spot/considerable distance away from it's current location. if it still jiggles then it's probably nothin to do w/ur son's entertainment gear. if that doesnt solve the issue some1 esle needs to help u on this; if it does clear it up then move the stuff back towards ur office in 1/2 distant increments (might be easier if the equip was on some type of STABLE cart) until the issue reappears - thats the distance ur SON needs to move his stuff away from YOUR wall!!! ;)

I have seen this happen in older homes where there is a refrigerator on the same line as the computer. As the refrigerator's compressor cycles on and off, the CRT screen will shrink and then pop back to the correct size. If this has just started to happen, and you do find out that the refrig is on the same line, it might mean the fridge compressor is going bad.

Thanks for the responses. I've also learned that (apparently) you can add EFI filters to the monitor cable to flatten the hi freq interference That bulby thing that's part of the cable is an EFI filter. But I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Also, whipaway, my office is in the old part of our house. I'm trying an experiment where I've run a heavy duty extension cord from one of the plugs in the new part of the house to see what effect, if any, that might have...

And aeinstein, if I have to start moving the equipment again, I will but right now I'm willing to take time to try other things (the monitor weighs a ton and I don't trust myself moving it alone).

BTW, while writing this note, with the monitor on the extension cord, there have been no jiggles (yet)...

Thanks for the responses. I've also learned that (apparently) you can add EFI filters to the monitor cable to flatten the hi freq interference That bulby thing that's part of the cable is an EFI filter. But I can't seem to find them anywhere...

You do not necessarily need to move the monitor, at least to test it--just rotating it 90 on its base will change the magnetic field orientation (if that's the problem) and change how the monitor reacts.

Another test is to change the vertical-refresh rate on the monitor, and see if that changes the appearance of the problem. The easy way to change refresh rates is to download the free utility MultiRes. Here's the link (it's the first program under the heading Free software): http://www.entechtaiwan.com; when you are done, set the refresh to 85 Hz for best viewing

An EMI filter will be of no help, as your problem is magnetic- or power-related, not radio-frequency (electromagnetic) related.

Well, I continue to have the problem. I tried the 90 degree swivel. Tried moving it further away. And upped the refresh rate from 75 to 85 Hertz. All to no avail. Someone else I spoke with suggested a Faraday Cage... I haven't finished construction of one (had an accident with hot wax from a glue gun and now have multiple finger tip burns and blisters). But to keep the partially completed cage out of traffic, I placed the copper screen across the back of the monitor and there's been a significant reduction in activity (for the last 30 hours anyways). The jury is still out on this one...

Yankj49

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.