I put in a new video card in a older Dell, for my wife where she works. It's a Pentium 4, a gig of ram, and a agp slot, and she was using the onboard video. She got 2 Evga GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X cards.
I 'm upgrading 2 machines for her. I disabled the onboard video and installed the card.
The problem is that after about 2 hours after installing, the system would momentarily lock up and the screen would go black. Works for about 1 or 2 minutes and it does it again. I got the latest drivers from Nvidia. and still the same. Even tried a new monitor, no luck.
Thought the card might be bad so I tried the other card and still doing the same thing.
Anybody got any suggestions?

I would goto the home site for the card, and systematically roll back the driver to the previous version, one by one. There may be a bug or two in the driver. I have to do this with my kids' computer just to get more than 16 colors on the thing. There is one other issue you may want to look into and that is HEAT. Look into your PC case, and note how the air flows inside the case. If the card is not receiving enough cooling, then it will overheat ans shut down. Sometimes repositioning a cable or two can allow the air to hit a hotspot, or you may have to install a casefan. i just installed a casefan on an AMD2200 system that didn't come with one, and the owner is amazed that a little more air will make the difference. Do the airflow check first, then if that is not it, try the drivers, then repost. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.