Wiped HDD are doa

I received several Maxtor 40 gb hard drives that were “wiped” by the donor. So far, I have not been able to get past “operating system not found” or “hard disk not found” on any of them. Using three different computers and trying all the variations that I know produced nothing. I don’t want to discard working parts if they can be recycled. XP gets through several screens and stops at “Setup is loading Windows” on the scroll bar. The screen reads “cannot continue press F3 to exit” which will reboot the machine and repeat the process. That indicates XP can’t find the HDD either, I think. What am I neglecting here? What do you suggest I try to successfully recycle these drives?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

are you using the xp partitioning/format tools or 3rd party ones?

they might need a driver floppy (f6 or f8)

I have been using XP Pro slipstreamed with SP2. This has worked beautifully for over a year. I also downloaded the CD from Microshaft (that produces 6 floppy disks) resulting in a partitioned and formatted hard drive, which is ready to receive OS XP.

try using the maxtor cd that come wioth the drive, ( can also be down load and burn to cd) use it to check the drive, if the drive heads are damaged, (Which can happen in the DOA wipe) then you would not abe able to use the drives.

Also what jumper setting are you using for the drives, Single, Master, master with slave, Cap limit, Cable select

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.