Ok, heres my story, my current 420watt powersupply is shot, it powers my pc, but sometimes it starts making static sounds and my pc restarts, so I was wondering

I found a ultra 400wat-power supply

3 questions

1) is Ultra a good brand for powersupplies
2) is 400 watts enough to run a 64 3400+ cpu, with a mobo, and 9600XT
3) Are staticy sounds coming from your PS normal?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Ok, heres my story, my current 420watt powersupply is shot, it powers my pc, but sometimes it starts making static sounds and my pc restarts, so I was wondering

I found a ultra 400-watt power supply

3 questions

1) is Ultra a good brand for power supplies
2) is 400 watts enough to run a 64 3400+ cpu, with a mobo, and 9600XT
3) Are staticy sounds coming from your PS normal?

I have a bit of a background in this; I used to repair switching power supplies when it was economical to do so, going back 30 years .

1) The Ultra brand is unknown to me, but it looks OK from the picture and other info I've seen. If I had one in hand, I could trace it to the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) from the UL recogition code (the backwards UR followed by the letter E and a series of numbers). You can usually Google that code and find out more.
2) 400 watts is a bit low these days. The minimal incremental extra cost of a 500-watt supply is a good investment.
3) No :-)

commented: Good info. - dlh +1

do you know of decent powersupply brands?

because I have come to know that $20 500-watt PS are garbage.

but I dont want to go over $60

do you know of decent power supply brands?

For example, this one, while slightly over your limit, is a brand known to me, and a 120mm fan turns slower--so it runs quieter and lasts longer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541436&sku=D15-1000

would that be a good powersupply, the noise doesn't really bother me 9/10 times my pc is on im playing music or games. I just need power even tho 8 perpheral connectors would be better then 6

I found a 600 watt powersupply for $49 after rebates, the brand is prenium, i dont knoq if its any good.

I am also looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-148-008&depa=0 which would be a better buy the diablo one or this aspire one?

and where can I find out how many peripheral connectors they come with?

I've pretty much got that PSU, or the 480 watt model of it. I'm pretty happy with it, and it's got plenty of PSU connectors for me-- mine has 6 Molexes, 2 floppy connectors, and 2 SATA connectors. Also, the blue LEDs in mine look kinda cool.

Personally, I'd just buy that one, and get some PSU splitters. I found some at CompUSSR for $2 US a piece.

which one the diablo or aspire one?

Remember, just because it says 400W...doesn't mean its any better than the brandname (antec...enermax....etc) 300W...not all powersupplies are up to par. Seriously, don't slack on your PSU...you'll regret it in the end, and so will your componants. Stick to brandnames, and shop around, youll get a good deal, and you'll be happier in the end. Also...try to stay with around 420W or even 500W (depending on what you use ur system for) A 420W enermax would do you fine.

my 2pence:
Q-Tec are great PSU's and are quiet if u get the dual/tri fan versions ( 400watt up to 650watt )
And you can get them really cheap on eBay. Loads are selling them. I got the tri-fan 650watt for under £40 including delivery ( around $70 )

Note: 650watt isnt 650watt constant, remember, they are switch mode power supplies and will only deliver around 350-400watt constant draw (for the 650).
More suited to RAID arrays (if you can afford them(I wish!)).

Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake and Zalman are the units I'd consider as first choices.

Remember when the bombardment of 200 Watt car stereo speakers hit the US market? They were trash.. They rate these according to their own standards, Meaning just because it says 400 Watts.. if its 20.00 its most likely in all actuality 200 Watts max.. Take their advice, Spend the extra cash and get a good one!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.