Hi i have just orderd all the parts for my computer and was all excited when someone told me that i need a part that connects my motherboard and my hard drive. I have the wires is there a "Scuddy" card i Have to get?:o

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What kind of hard drive is this? SCSI? ATA? SATA?

Hi i have just orderd all the parts for my computer and was all excited when someone told me that i need a part that connects my motherboard and my hard drive. I have the wires is there a "Scuddy" card i Have to get?:o

Can you find a manufacturer name and a model number printed on that hard drive please?

I really dislike advising on the basis of what "somebody told me", and would like to check exactly what the unit actually IS.

"Scuddy" would be a miss-pronounciation of "Scuzzy" slang for SCSI.
On the back of the driver there will be 4 big power pins, or an odd shaped black slot like connector with a notch at the end (like a long L shape). If its the black connector its SATA. If its the 4 big pins, its either SCSI or ATA or PATA.
Next to that will be some pins with a plastic thing across them, thats the jumper settings, ignore that for now.
Next to that is either a long row of pins, another L shaped connector, or some odd looking connector block.
If you have the two long rows of pins (40 pins) thats ATA or PATA (and you need nothing). If its the L shaped black thing, very small connector, thats most likely SATA And you may need a Serial ATA controler if you dont have one on your motherboard. Or lastly if its the connector block thing with lots and lots of pins in it (50, 68, 80 pins) thats SCSI ( slang scuzzy ) and you will most likely need a suitable controler card for this.
Example of SATA connectors on the back of the drive:
SATA Drives
Reference images of SCSI connectors, new and old:
SCSI Connectors
Examples of ATA or PATA drive connectors (scroll down a bit):
ATA/PATA connectors

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.