I just bought a compaq laptop w/ a AMD xp2200+ when i go to computer properties it reads the processor at a 1.05ghz sometimes it does jump to a 1.79ghz but most of the time you see 1.05ghz. Is this normal or should i worry. every time i check is after restart or start up please help I bought this computer at Best Buy if that helps they said it runs at a 1.8 ghz

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Its because processing reasearch and development is complicated and not always exact. Processors of the same model and speed are not " identical "

My Opinion ,it because the new AMD XP's Suck!:)

AMD Athlon XP's run at a slower clockrate than their model number suggests - rather, it's meant to be a comparason to Intel's processors.

In any case, if you have a 2200+ then it should run at 1.8ghz, and it's perfectly fine for your computer properties to read 1.79ghz. However, the 1.05 ghz is something that doesn't make much sense - UNLESS - you said it's a laptop? It's possible that it is stepping the processor power down when your laptop is running off of batteries, to conserve power. Try plugging it in and see if it jumps back to 1.79ghz.

It's possible that it is stepping the processor power down when your laptop is running off of batteries, to conserve power. Try plugging it in and see if it jumps back to 1.79ghz.

In my opinion, this is exactly what's happening--1.79 GHz is exactly what a 2200+ runs at. The fact that it shows that result sometimes indicates that all is OK.

no this happens when to computer is pluged in as well

no this happens when to computer is pluged in as well

There should be an option in the Control Panel to shut that particular "function" off when you're plugged in. Sniff around.

look to your motherboard and relace the jumper from 100Mhz front side bus to 133Mhz Front side bus

if you dont know how to do it read the manueal from your motherboard.

Good luck

I re-read this thread, and it's definitely the PowerNow feature that is similar in function to Intel's Speedstep technology.

What happens is the laptop clocks the processor up and down given the tasks that it has to complete. If you're playing a game that utilizes 100% of the processor, it should run at 1.8 GHz. If you're editing a Word document and surfing the web, it will drop down to a lower clock speed to save battery life.

Like I said before, sniff around in the control panel.

And to all of you who say that XP's suck, I get a 50% overclock with my 1700+. I could bump the multiplier up two notches and have a 60% increase in speed, and this is without any severe modification.

Aside from that, AMD's don't need excessive amounts of marketing talk and "800 MHz Front Side Bus" and other mind trickery ploys.

But to each his own, they're all good chips.

Go to power management and select the home/office desk scheme. Once that's changed, your cpu should show 1.79Ghz. That wjat I did on mine and it worked like a charm.

if anyone noticed he said "laptop"

ALL newer laptops beit p4 or AMD use a dynamic speed to conserve power, so then, if the computer only needs 1.2 ghz it will only use 1.2 ghz ;D

I belive AMD XP'S are the best processors out on the market. I have a XP 2000+ and it's way faster than my dads new P4

AMD's usualy match p4's not ahead maybe abit behind, but with usualy a few HUNDRED mghz behind :)

hehe so a AMD 64-bit 3200+ 1600FSB makes the P4 HT a turtle

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.