I can boot to desk top without a problem, yet after I've been using my system for a bit and then decide to shut down I can't boot up again because the monitor won't kick on. It tries, but then goes off, so I haver to hard shut down, I have to wait an hour if not more before re-starting my system. I have an old (and I mean old desk top) the monitor is Dell/trinitron, OS win98se.....help please..

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I can boot to desk top without a problem, yet after I've been using my system for a bit and then decide to shut down I can't boot up again because the monitor won't kick on. It tries, but then goes off, so I haver to hard shut down, I have to wait an hour if not more before re-starting my system. I have an old (and I mean old desk top) the monitor is Dell/trinitron, OS win98se.....help please..

Many Sony monitors have a problem with dry electrolytic caps and/or bad solder connections. When the unit is cold, it will start up, but it's marginal. When it's hot, it will continue to run but won't start up again until it cools off. It's cheaper to buy one used than to fix the old one. Of course, this type of problem is not unique to Sony; look at all the G51 monitors that IBM had to recall.

I have a monitor ? and thought i'de ask it here ,monitor is really blurry you can make out colors , icons but you can't tell whats what and the monitor setup when open i can scroll through the different settings(not knowing whats what ) and make changes not knowing what changes but it remains blurry ,you can't make out anything it just a big blurr.

Thanks for your help!!! I guess a new "system" is in order. I might decide to let my son tinker a bit with trying to fix this beast. He won't blow himself or the house up will he...where and what could you suggest he looks for in trying a fix.

Again, thank you for you help!

I have a monitor and thought i'd ask it here, monitor is really blurry you can make out colors, icons but you can't tell whats what and the monitor setup when open I can scroll through the different settings(not knowing what's what ) and make changes not knowing what changes but it remains blurry, you can't make out anything it just a big blur.

Focus is an internal adjustment, but not too difficult for all that. Give me more information: the FCC ID number is best (tells me the OEM & true model number), but brand and model too will help. Is it a flat CRT, etc. I'm willing to walk you through the adjustment(s), if you are brave! Don't worry, I've done this for 40 years bzzzt and it bzzzt hasn't affected me a bzzzt bit--I'm old enough to volt...

I guess a new "system" is in order. I might decide to let my son tinker a bit with trying to fix this beast. He won't blow himself or the house up will he...where and what could you suggest he looks for in trying a fix.

I'm willing to help, but--does he know how to solder? Can he identify basic electronic components? Does he know which end of the soldering iron to hold? :cheesy:

Seriously, though, I am considering writing a basic electronics primer. My teaching technique starts with the electron then works up from there. Is there any interest?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.