I tried the freezer idea but it didn't work. Does anyone have any other ideas? It's a Dell laptop with a Seagate 160GB SATA drive

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

the freezer idea is so close to a myth it ain't funny!
it only keeps the hdd from getting hot really quick ,so you can get a few important file off of it .so if the drive isn't getting hot when you connect it then the freezer will do nothing for you .if you are connection it to a computer with a working windows ,and it doesn't see the drive then chances are it never will see it because its dead,actually more likely a problem with the circuit board on the hdd. ,

Here you can find at least 200 ways that might work for you to try to revive your HDD for just the right amount of time to copy your files. The most important thing is BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Trust me, I have learned the hard way. LOL.

http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/downloads/200ways.pdf

:icon_lol:

about 199 of them are to freeze down the drive .lol

find another defective drive with the same model then try replacing the circuit board with another drive, if you're lucky, you'll be able to revive your drive...(that's what i did with my old hdd that contains sources of my apps...) not 100% sure but it's worth the try though..

find another defective drive with the same model then try replacing the circuit board with another drive, if you're lucky, you'll be able to revive your drive...(that's what i did with my old hdd that contains sources of my apps...) not 100% sure but it's worth the try though..

that will work only if the other defective drive has a good circuit board! so another working drive, of the exact same model will do best

The so called freezer idea actually worked for a buddy of mine after a day.replacing circuits worked for my manager once.he calls it luck... see if you can find any.

The so called freezer idea actually worked for a buddy of mine after a day.replacing circuits worked for my manager once.he calls it luck... see if you can find any.

the problem with the freezer idea is that drives and the files you want to save are to big ,the drive will be hot again in no time ,maybe ok if there is just one file you really need .

about 199 of them are to freeze down the drive .lol

I don't know if you saw the whole thin or not, but here are the suggestions that they give in the article.

Freeze it
Drop it
Hit it

You have tried freezing it, but have you tried the solutions they give in dropping it and hitting it. It's worth a shot, I know you got lots of info in the drive, but if it won't spin, then it's useless. So, in reality you have nothing to loose.

Freeze it
Drop it
Hit it

I have over the years done all 3 to no avail ,if the drive is dead its dead ,and the only way i know of to retrieve files is to have a company that specializes in that stuff take the platters out and retrieve the data

Freeze it
Drop it
Hit it

I have over the years done all 3 to no avail ,if the drive is dead its dead ,and the only way i know of to retrieve files is to have a company that specializes in that stuff take the platters out and retrieve the data

Yes, but I think he is trying to avoid taking the HDD to a recovery company. They charge way to much to recover data, of course if that data is very important and can't be recreated then that would be a solution, but to me I wouldn't bother even taking it.

Yes, but I think he is trying to avoid taking the HDD to a recovery company. They charge way to much to recover data, of course if that data is very important and can't be recreated then that would be a solution, but to me I wouldn't bother even taking it.

I never said to take it to place like that ,im just saying its possible that he will never get the info off the drive because no matter what you try if you cant see the drive you ain't gonna see it no way no how

the problem with the freezer idea is that drives and the files you want to save are to big ,the drive will be hot again in no time ,maybe ok if there is just one file you really need .

Ya I know you right,you get very limited time to retrieve your goodies

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.