I have a Radeon 9800 Pro video card in my Dell XPS.
Never had a problem but I am trying to get VHS tapes on my computer to edit.

I have the VCR attached to the computer in the manner to which I think it should be... (svideo out of video card and into video IN of VCR... audio out of vcr and into sound card)..

But when I turned on the computer the monitor first said something like "unable to display video mode" or something... and I don't know how to VIEW what is on my vcr on my monitor... so that I can capture it..

Does anyone have any idea what to do? There is supposed to be an "ATI Multimedia Center" but I dont' see it.. if I go in Windows Explorer I find 2 files called atiprbxx.exe and atiptaxx.exe - they say its supposed to be ATI Desktop Control Panel, but when I click on them they don't open.. I'm at a loss what to try next -- need to make football tapes for colleges and .. need soon...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? Thanks in advance.

Member Avatar for pcordes1979

Your Radeon 9800Pro card does not have video input capabilities. You will either need a Radeon All-In-Wonder card, some other video card with VIVO(Video-In Video-Out) capabilities, or some sort of USB/FireWire/internal PCI video capture device. Also the svideo out on the video card is just that an output, so that would allow you to output the video signal from the computer to the VCR, though it will be whatever is displayed on the monitor.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro video card in my Dell XPS.
Never had a problem but I am trying to get VHS tapes on my computer to edit.

I have the VCR attached to the computer in the manner to which I think it should be... (svideo out of video card and into video IN of VCR... audio out of vcr and into sound card)..

But when I turned on the computer the monitor first said something like "unable to display video mode" or something... and I don't know how to VIEW what is on my vcr on my monitor... so that I can capture it..

Does anyone have any idea what to do? There is supposed to be an "ATI Multimedia Center" but I dont' see it.. if I go in Windows Explorer I find 2 files called atiprbxx.exe and atiptaxx.exe - they say its supposed to be ATI Desktop Control Panel, but when I click on them they don't open.. I'm at a loss what to try next -- need to make football tapes for colleges and .. need soon...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your response... I did finally get a real capture card!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.