my computer is about 4 or five years old and has an 80GB hard drive in it. when i right click on the C drive in my computer and click properties it shows i have 74.4 gb i figured it was just getting old but i ran HD tune 2.55 and it says the whole hard drive is fine and usable and Belarc Advisor says i have 79.99gb of usable space. should i worry?

Hi,
Because of the way HDD manufactures measure there drives a 80 Gb HDD is actually only 78.12 Gb. This is the maths: in actuallity there are 1024 Mb to a Gb, the manufacturers measure them at 1000 Mb to a Gb.
Now your drive may have problems which windows at some stage may have blocked as there are bad sectors or if you are using a Hp, Dell, Acer etc hides a small partition to put it's recovery files on.
Either way with the drive being 5 yrs old and the current cheap price of Hdd I would probably up grade to a newer bigger drive and just clone your system across.
Hope this helps

Dave

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.