During the boot process (W2k, 500gb maxtor hd, 1gb ram, 1.8 ghz AMD), computer launched Checkdisk to repair a problem, which it had done once before a month, or so ago, successfully. Not the case this time. Checkdisk was unable to fix the problem! I tried to reboot, but Windows hung in "Loading personal settings" phase. Figured the drive was bad so tried to format with W2K Install disk (since I could not get the Maxtor disk to work at all). Since this was unsuccessful, as I could not load any of the new partitions (why it created 4 partitions I am not sure), I swapped out the drive with another I knew was good. Could not find boot sector that was operable on that drive either and the BIOS and CMOS process was extremely slow. At this point I have a large axe in the garage I am about redesign the case, mother board, et al, if you get my drift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (williambuhl@buhlconsulting.com)

have you tried booting in to dos and doing a Format c: from there? or if its a bios problem perhaps clear the cmos/take out and then replace the battery

I have no way of booting to dos, but I will change battery. I will also try drive in another computer (old one I do ot use) to see if it will recognize the drive. It may have something to do with the ide control on the mother board. Thanks for respoonse.

Hi,
Have you tried to repair from the cd you have?

Boot up PC hit F2 or delete to get into the bios, look for boot tab at top and change boot priority 1st boot device to CD rom..
Insert your disc and restart pc..
when prompted to repair or install hit repair..

This should fix the problem

Glas

Hi,
Have you tried to repair from the cd you have?

Boot up PC hit F2 or delete to get into the bios, look for boot tab at top and change boot priority 1st boot device to CD rom..
Insert your disc and restart pc..
when prompted to repair or install hit repair..

This should fix the problem

Glas

Tried "repair" first and received response that installation could not be repaired. Then tried maxtor disk to see if it had any utilities that would help...none. Tried to format thru Windows install disk, set up four partitions,, could not istall in any of them. Tried another drive (HD) and the system would not boot from that either. May be board of power supply?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.