I have a Philips internal (aftermarket) cd/dvd drive that has always worked fine with all WMP iterations. All of a sudden, related to no software or hardware issue I can think of, I get the error message stating that Windows Media Player can't detect any cd drive.

I have checked the device manager and the player is enabled and said to be working perfectly. According to Windows Media Player, however, it doesn't exist.

I've written to Philips 3 times re: this problem and thsy cvlaim its Windows (or Dell's) problem. I can't even down load new drivers from Philips because, according to them, the model spd7203(?)p that is the model of the Philips drive-is not recognized by Philips as a model they know anything about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill S.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

How to enable CD burning

1. Go to Start menu, right-click My Computer, and then click Open.
  2. In the Devices with Removable Storage area, right-click the CD drive, and then click Properties.
  3. You will see a Recording tab if your CD drive is recognized.Verify that the Enable CD recording on this drive check box is selected on the Recording tab.

4. Next, verify that the Image Mastering API (IMAPI) CD-Burning COM service on your computer is enabled.

How to enable IMAPI

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
  2. Right-click IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, and then click Properties.
  3. Set the Startup type to Automatic.
  4. Click Start to start the service, and then click OK. Note that you may have to log off and then log on for this change to take effect

If Windows Media Player still doesn't detect your CD drive, and if your computer is running the Microsoft Windows XP operating system, check the Windows Marketplace Tested Products List to ensure that your CD drive is designed for use with Windows. If the drive is not listed, it may not work correctly.

You should also check that your CD drive has all the updated drivers from Windows Update.

Thanks for the reply. I tried everything you suggested but Windows sent me to Philips to get the drivers, Philips doesn't have that device listed and doesn't recognize it as one of their products. In the meantime, I purchased an external Lightscribe cd/dvd drive but I didn't realize that Lightscribe required Nero software.

Further, somehow, perhaps in an upgrade to WMP 11 I lost all my audio installations, Creative SoundBlaster Audigy was what I was using but nothing is enabled or available now. I'm making a lot of progress!

Try removing upper and lower filters (if present).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

There are no separate drivers for internal optical drives. Necessary drivers are included in XP/Vista. Burning software does install additional drivers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.