yfork 0 Newbie Poster

hey guys, i've had this laptop for about 6 months now, and although the problems have always been there, they've never been as annoying as now. i'm hoping i can get some help with the main 2.

-------
1) Startup problems

i should start by saying that it was bought second hand, and had a clean XP Pro install instead of the bloated one that Sony usually ships with their laptops. This, of course, means that i don't have a recovery CD, or the hidden recovery partition (i'm guessing). I did however install the necessary drivers etc. applying to this model, that were found in the sony website .

anyways, starting up the laptop is a hit or miss task. 3 different things can happen after pressing the power button:
1 - The first (power) LED light turns on...and nothing after
2 - Power LED turns on, quickly followed by the 3rd light, which is the one that always lights up when the pc is working. That quickly turns off, followed by the vid card light turning on. Nothing happens after.
3 - The LED sequence is the same as the 2nd scenario, but it's followed by the display of the VAIO logo, and subsequent windows startup. I should probably mention that it has also frozen on occasion after the VAIO logo, but it's rare.

----------
2) Bluetooth problems

As I mentioned, I installed the original (toshiba) BT drivers that came with my laptop, but I didn't know how to use it to send/receive files from my phone, etc. Sometime later, I read online that the Widcomm stack was a better option, so i uninstalled the toshiba one and replaced it with widcomm. this didn't seem to fix my problems, b/c it would only show a red icon that would say "bluetooth device not found" or something like that.
now, i also have ubuntu (hardy) installed, and from there i can use bluetooth to do the things i mentioned, so i'm wondering why can't i do it in XP?

-----------

alright guys, i know it must have been quite a read, but i'm really hoping i can get some help, at least with the first problem b/c it's really annoying, and i'm sure it's not good for the laptop to be turned on/off 10 times before it starts...
anyways, i appreciate any help i can get.
thanks