All:

I have a dell system running XP pro. I had moved the original maxtor 30gb hard-drive from the master to the slave position due to some issues caused by my son (still alive, for the time being!). Everything has been just fine up until about a week ago.:eek:

Now, when you boot the system, it insists that it wants top run a chkdsk on the slave drive. I said no and then went to get the data off the drive for a back-up and the system came back and said that the drive needed to be formatted. I said NO!

I've since replaced the drive with a new HD (maxtor 80gb), but want to get the data off the old drive. Tried putting the drive into another dell PC and got the same chkdsk request. Tried wrapping the drive in plastic and putting it in the freezer for an hour and then re-installing (from another techie friend of mine, currenty on vacation), also no go.

SHould I run the chkdsk (and will it destroy any of the data on the drive) or do I wait until my friend returns. He has sw that will recover data from dead drives.:confused:

ANy thoughts greatly appreciated.
agavzy

Member Avatar for TKSS

All:

I have a dell system running XP pro. I had moved the original maxtor 30gb hard-drive from the master to the slave position due to some issues caused by my son (still alive, for the time being!). Everything has been just fine up until about a week ago.:eek:

Now, when you boot the system, it insists that it wants top run a chkdsk on the slave drive. I said no and then went to get the data off the drive for a back-up and the system came back and said that the drive needed to be formatted. I said NO!

I've since replaced the drive with a new HD (maxtor 80gb), but want to get the data off the old drive. Tried putting the drive into another dell PC and got the same chkdsk request. Tried wrapping the drive in plastic and putting it in the freezer for an hour and then re-installing (from another techie friend of mine, currenty on vacation), also no go.

SHould I run the chkdsk (and will it destroy any of the data on the drive) or do I wait until my friend returns. He has sw that will recover data from dead drives.:confused:

ANy thoughts greatly appreciated.
agavzy

chkdsk will not destroy any data on the drive...it will simply try to repare any bad blocks and system files that are corrupt. Running chkdsk will be just fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.