Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I had written in another post about my hard drive going bad or so I thought. This would be the 4th. I know odds are not good that's what it was but the easiest to try and solve. I installed a new hd, installed windows xp pro and after about a day of installing things (I know I should have waited) I got the same message that I got before on the other hds that people said the hd went bad. It said somethings about windows can't start because of a corrupt file and then \windows\system32\config\system. So if it is not the hd, what the heck is it? NO ONE, seems to know. I mean NO ONE. I just got new memory to try, I moved the memory in the slots. I got new IDE cable. WHAT IS IT???????

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I've looked at all your posts on this BLOG (under your current profile) and I cannot see any that talk about you having hard drive problems. You had two threads going on the same XP install problem, but nothing on hard drives. Point me to the posting where you talk about the original hard drive problems and where people responded and said they thought the HD was bad please.
From what you said above, you are missing some file in the referenced directory, but you don't say what that file is. Just from your words, you seem to have a software problem and nothing to do with the hardware. We need more information to help you.

It says that it is corrupt and it also says this.
\windows\system32\config\system

The problem you are referring to is called a corrupt hive. In your case, your system hive is missing or corrupt. To fix the problem, start Windows with the recovery console. Boot from your xp CD. Choose that you want to repair an installation. On the next screen choose the recovery console and then confirm.

Once inside the recovery console first check that system32\system exists
type: cd system 32\config , hit Enter
type: dir system, hit Enter
If these commands are accepted, the file exists
If the file is corrupt you can replace it with a backup
type: ren system system.bak, hit Enter
type: C:\windows\repair\system, hit Enter
You should then hopefully recieve "One file copied" confirmation message
To exit the recovery console
type:exit
Restart your computer

If you have trouble with directory commands, you may have to use the change directory comman (cd)
Ex. C:\windows\system32
type:cd C:\, Enter
type:cd windows, Enter
etc.

These instructions on repairing a system registry hive are interchangeable with changing a software registry hive, simply change the commands.
gl

When i have had an XP install go bad i usually either find the issue in the CD Rom drive or the CD itself... Have you tried to replace those?
Another possibility is the power supply, is it strong enough to push the devices on your PC, or fluctuate? :rolleyes:

I had written in another post about my hard drive going bad or so I thought. This would be the 4th. I know odds are not good that's what it was but the easiest to try and solve. I installed a new hd, installed windows xp pro and after about a day of installing things (I know I should have waited) I got the same message that I got before on the other hds that people said the hd went bad. It said somethings about windows can't start because of a corrupt file and then \windows\system32\config\system. So if it is not the hd, what the heck is it? NO ONE, seems to know. I mean NO ONE. I just got new memory to try, I moved the memory in the slots. I got new IDE cable. WHAT IS IT???????

When i have had an XP install go bad i usually either find the issue in the CD Rom drive or the CD itself... Have you tried to replace those?
Another possibility is the power supply, is it strong enough to push the devices on your PC, or fluctuate? :rolleyes:

250-Watt 3.3-Volt Power Supply Revision 1
It is a new install with a new cd rom drive and new cd. It could be the power supply. One question with the power supply though. Should the fan on the power supply be running? It has not run since I have been watching it.

Figure this out?? I am going to try and reinstall clean again but as everyone says turn it off and boot from the cd. I do that but it says put in the proper cd. The only way I can get it to boot is to shut down, turn on, have the hard drive unplugged and when the start up screen gets to a certain point plug the hd back in again and it will go to the xp screen to install. What the he?? is going on here/?/????

ok, really think it is the power supply now... i recommend replacing it if the fan has stopped.. prolonged heat can voltage problems can dammage the cpu and mainboard components. The fan is used to get the hot air out of the case. CPU's can be damaged if it gets above 180 F.

Figure this out?? I am going to try and reinstall clean again but as everyone says turn it off and boot from the cd. I do that but it says put in the proper cd. The only way I can get it to boot is to shut down, turn on, have the hard drive unplugged and when the start up screen gets to a certain point plug the hd back in again and it will go to the xp screen to install. What the he?? is going on here/?/????

I am going to take the hd, cd drives, vid card and make a new computer. Heck with this.

Just about any PC that can run XP will need a power supply larger than 250...

There is a link I can get for you to calculate the size of the power supply that you need...

Many of us run 400 and 500 watt power supplies...

I dont put in anything under 350...

Here it is... http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

If you dont have enough of a power supply, NONE of your components will work the way they were designed...

This is a quick and easy way to see if your power supply is less than adequate...

I am getting a whole new box with at least a 350watt or more ps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.