Alright, I need some help with my computer. When i try to turn it on nothing happens fans turn on in the inside but other than that nothing starts up and the moniter stys black. NOTHING HAPPENS. I have no clue what happened. I shut it down last night because the screen was all weird and this morning it will not start up or turn on. I am not sure if this is a virus. It is a computer my fathers friend built for me and i do not have a boot disk. Not to mention the drives do not open.
Could someone please help?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You may need to open the case and remove and reseet things like modems and sound card ,network card ,video card, RAM also .! ,to make sure they are all making a connection ,also it could be the power supply not providing enough power to boot ,
If reseeting doesnt help pull all of the cards out except the RAM and boot and see if Hardrive bootup

thank you i will give that a try.

thank you i will give that a try.

After trying what the previous message suggested, assuming that nothing comes up, I suggest you try a new motherboard. If you do not even get bios information, then well, if it isn't the powersupply your motherboard might have died on you.

a.

The failure sounds much more like a hardware issue than a virus issue, so I'm moving this to the hardware forum. Buckle up...

What kind of motherboard is this, and what is the pattern of beeping?

Those are the first two questions I'd be asking. Once we get this information, we'd be able to tell what was going on, as those beeps often key you into what particular component has failed.

Failing that, strip the system down to motherboard and processor. Disconnect all external peripherals, and disconnect the power and IDE cables from the motherboard. Remove the PCI and AGP cards as well. If it's still beeping, then you'll have at least isolated it down to either the power supply, motherboard, or processor.

Does the fan on the processor spin at all?

What kind of motherboard is this, and what is the pattern of beeping?

Those are the first two questions I'd be asking. Once we get this information, we'd be able to tell what was going on, as those beeps often key you into what particular component has failed.

Failing that, strip the system down to motherboard and processor. Disconnect all external peripherals, and disconnect the power and IDE cables from the motherboard. Remove the PCI and AGP cards as well. If it's still beeping, then you'll have at least isolated it down to either the power supply, motherboard, or processor.

Does the fan on the processor spin at all?

Yes the fan on the processor does turn on. So i think that it is the mother board after asking some people. But i need to wait till the budget is there to get another, i am not going to put a crappy cheap one in so If that doesn't work I will be back

Yes the fan on the processor does turn on. So i think that it is the mother board after asking some people. But i need to wait till the budget is there to get another, i am not going to put a crappy cheap one in so If that doesn't work I will be back

don't no if this will help, but mine is doing the same thing when i try to start it in the mornings. i have been able to get it to start each day by turning the power on and of again at the plug quickly. it continues to do it though if i dont turn it back on again within a few seconds.

That procedure, scott808, os more likely to cause further problems than it is to fix old ones. Playing with the power switch like that stresses components and will eventually end up causing damage. Correct the problem - don't compensate for it!

I had the motherboard changed in mine a few weeks ago and the problems solved now.

luckily its was still under the guarantee, or it would have cost me a few quid!

scott808

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.