Hi all - this is my first post ever, I've read quite a few forums and this site seemed to have the best replies, so give yourselves five points straight away and another billion points goes to anyone who can help with this...
...I've just put together my first system (specs below), but when I boot her up and go into the BIOS I barely have time to get to the 'power' menu before a 'CPU overheat error' screen appears and then a few seconds later the Mobo automatically shuts everything down, whole process takes about two/three minutes from hitting the power button and the CPU hasn't had to display any graphics that my spectrum zx wouldn't of handled!
I've tried reseating the heatsink/fan and all other fans are working, CPU has thermal paste on and I'm pretty confident that I put the right power connectors in the right holes - additionally it hasn't recognised the SATA HDD or DVDROM. I need to be put back on the straight and narrow - please help!

CPU: Intel i7 920 (2.66GHz) Cooler: Using the stock i7 heatsink/fan Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe DIMMs: Corsair 3GB DDR3 1600MHz PSU: Antec Earthwatt 650W Case: CM690 with x4 fans GPU: BFG 9800GT OCX HDD: Samsung spinpoint 1TB SATAII Optical Drive Generic SATA DVDRW

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

First off I am jealous of your new system.

Second I assume the motherboard is still under warranty so the best thing to do would probably be to just send back your P6T Deluxe for a new one. It is a new product and I wouldn't be surprised if Asus still has a few bugs to work out.

Third, I have heard of motherboards heating up once and then the trigger that tells the motherboard that it is heating up gets 'stuck'. Might want to do a google search on that issue. Most likely involves resetting something, but I have never had to solve that problem myself so it is best to find a tutorial from someone that has.

That's my two cents.

Thanks MatEpp, I've googled my fingers numb trying to find others with same issue but most overheats are on systems up and running already. Looks like the mobo might have to go back but as I don't know anyone else with an i7 board to try my chip on I can't really trouble shoot the actual prob - until your post I had myself down as the most likely reason for it not working!!

And no jealousy please - my systems in crysis not playing it ;)

how have you got the thermal paste applied?

you know less is more, right?

a little more than a pea sized amount, spread in an even thinnish layer.

The heatsink already had a crazy pattern of paste on straight out of the box, but after the first time it overheated I applied some of my own, not much but I didn't bother removing the 'old' stuff as it was only five minutes old! I've got an akasa nero heatsink but it didn't look any better than the one that came with the CPU, is it worth me cleaning up the paste and trying the new heatsink?

remove the old stuff with alcohol and apply again as i instructed,

if it doesnt work try RMAing the motherboard.

Lets hope its just my plastering skills! I've been saving up for a new system for about a year and I really don't want to rma anything...I want to shoot things in high def!!
Thanks for the advice jbennet, I'll leave this thread open until I've replastered the CPU and let you all know the outcome (and how many points you scored ;) ), in the meantime if anyone else has a bright idea...

if reapplying the paste and reseating doesnt work its probably a duff motherboard or cpu.

Try clear the CMOs on the mainboard using the jumper or removing the battery.

Use the original heatsink that comes with CPU and see if that works!
Hope this helps!
Bill

OK cleaned up the CPU and heatsink, re-applied paste and hey-presto I'm writting to you on my new system!! The heatsink was 'pre-loaded' with paste but it was either not enough or just really poor quality - I'd recommend applying your own to anyone else with trouble from the i7's.
Thanks to all who offered advice, this is a great forum so a billion points to everyone and I hope this little thread solves it for someone else too.
PS MatEpp...let the jealousy commence ;)

yeah i thaught so

stock paste is never any good

for decent CPUs you need your own (preferably as5 or something)

OK cleaned up the CPU and heatsink, re-applied paste and hey-presto I'm writting to you on my new system!! The heatsink was 'pre-loaded' with paste but it was either not enough or just really poor quality - I'd recommend applying your own to anyone else with trouble from the i7's.
Thanks to all who offered advice, this is a great forum so a billion points to everyone and I hope this little thread solves it for someone else too.
PS MatEpp...let the jealousy commence ;)

:icon_mrgreen: Jealousy commencing :twisted:

solution for overheat error

Hi all - this is my first post ever, I've read quite a few forums and this site seemed to have the best replies, so give yourselves five points straight away and another billion points goes to anyone who can help with this...
...I've just put together my first system (specs below), but when I boot her up and go into the BIOS I barely have time to get to the 'power' menu before a 'CPU overheat error' screen appears and then a few seconds later the Mobo automatically shuts everything down, whole process takes about two/three minutes from hitting the power button and the CPU hasn't had to display any graphics that my spectrum zx wouldn't of handled!
I've tried reseating the heatsink/fan and all other fans are working, CPU has thermal paste on and I'm pretty confident that I put the right power connectors in the right holes - additionally it hasn't recognised the SATA HDD or DVDROM. I need to be put back on the straight and narrow - please help!

CPU: Intel i7 920 (2.66GHz) Cooler: Using the stock i7 heatsink/fan Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe DIMMs: Corsair 3GB DDR3 1600MHz PSU: Antec Earthwatt 650W Case: CM690 with x4 fans GPU: BFG 9800GT OCX HDD: Samsung spinpoint 1TB SATAII Optical Drive Generic SATA DVDRW

My DVD-r was set to slave instead of master; made correction and it helped (alarm has actually been quiet for over one whole minute!) My PC is going to PC heaven as soon as I research new PCs n OS.

My DVD-r was set to slave instead of master; made correction and it helped (alarm has actually been quiet for over one whole minute!) My PC is going to PC heaven as soon as I research new PCs n OS.

Thanks hotrunner, but please take a look at the thread dates :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.