Basically, I have an OOOLLLD ass graphics card, a nVidia GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64... yes.. like 3/4 y/o now.. I updated all the drivers from the nVidia site.. when I am playing Half-Life 2; and I already set everything to the lowest graphics setting.. all was well untill it started glitching and making basically a seeing through walls effect that was flashing on and off.. so just f'd up making gameplay impossible.. so I'm looking in graphic settings and seeing that the "hardware" directX level is 7.0.. and I know currently the software directX is 9.0 .. so is there such a thing as your praphics card having a maximum directX level. in which case sounds like that might be screwing me over, or is there something else going on? any help to answer these questions would be much appreciated.. I just wanna play half-life 2 :(..

EZ8

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The "maximum directx level" of your card is 7, so Half Life 2 is detecting that correctly. However, the latest Nvidia drivers are designed with the latest cards in mind. You might want to try some older revisions. Nvidia hosts a driver archive, so try something in the 4x.xx range (perhaps 45.32) or, if nothing there works out, something in the 5x.xx range. Maybe even look into 3x.xx.

On the other hand, you're missing out on all the new graphical "shinies" Half Life 2 supports - perhaps it's time to look at a new video card? ;)

lol, indeed I would love a new vid card, along with a new motherboard and cpu... :(.. sadly, a new computer is low on my prorities.. hmm.. so try some older drivers?.. yeah, I'm sure I'm missing out on a shit-ton of cool stuff in hl2.. its still an awesome game.. but not so gr8 at 800x600.. :(.. thanx for the help, I'll look into it.

EZ8

lol, indeed I would love a new vid card, along with a new motherboard and cpu... :(.. sadly, a new computer is low on my prorities.. hmm.. so try some older drivers?.. yeah, I'm sure I'm missing out on a shit-ton of cool stuff in hl2.. its still an awesome game.. but not so gr8 at 800x600.. :(.. thanx for the help, I'll look into it.

EZ8

I played HL2 for a short while using a 32MB Nvidia Geforce card and I had the resolution set at 1024x768. Now with the 128MB Geforce, I can't max the settings but it still looks awesome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.