I just put together a system to replace my old one that was very slow. I wanted to make sure I never had slow problems again so I got a motherboard that is capable of bus speeds up to 2600 mhz, AMD Phenom quad-core 2.5 ghz processor, and 4 gb DDR2 1066 memory. I also got a Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200 RPM SATA hard drive. One would think it's going to be smokin' fast, right? Well it's not. It's sluggish with slow downloads and loading of pages and has other issues with streaming video. The only thing I can think is that I got a defective hard drive. The hard drive makes noises and appears to be slow. For example, if a web page is loading and gets stuck, the hard drive makes a noise just at the same time that more of the web page loads. I don't know what else it could be unless it's the fact that I'm running XP 64-bit. I heard XP 64 still has lots of bugs. Nah! It's gotta be the hard drive. Should a brand new Seagate Barracuda make any noise at all? Aren't those supposed to be the best? What is the best hard drive, Samsung? Hitachi Deskstar? Someone please HELP!

Yeah XP 64 bit is terrible.

Well it's not. It's sluggish with slow downloads and loading of pages and has other issues with streaming video.

Um have you installed the a) chipset and b) video drivers?

Hitachi Deskstar

terrible drives.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.