Ok, I just got this peculiar problem about this "Maxtor 40Gig Hard drive". I have 2 pc's. Let's just call this PC1 and PC2. My Maxtor hard drive can not detect by BIOS in the PC1 but can detect in the PC2. I also transferred my Excelstor hard drive from PC2 to PC1 and the PC1 can detect the Excelstor hard drive but the Maxtor can't. I have tried everything about diagnostics etc. but can't get any help from others, I've also tried Maxtor's diagnostics and also flashed my BIOS but nothing happened, still can't detect Maxtor by my PC1. Please help. Tnx in advance.by the way, this is the specs of my pc's:

PC1:
Tyan Trinity 510 S2266 motherboard VIA chipset
128 DDR RAM
Maxtor 40Gig Hard disk
Intel P4 1.7 Gig

PC2:
ECS K7VMM +266 motheboard
AMD Duron 1.4G
Excelstor 40 Gig Hard disk
512 DDR RAM

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ok, I just got this peculiar problem about this "Maxtor 40Gig Hard drive". I have 2 pc's. Let's just call this PC1 and PC2. My Maxtor hard drive can not detect by BIOS in the PC1 but can detect in the PC2.

PC1:
Tyan Trinity 510 S2266 motherboard VIA chipset
128 DDR RAM
Maxtor 40Gig Hard disk
Intel P4 1.7 Gig

Did you properly reset your BIOS after flashing--that is, move the CMOS-reset jumper to ensure that the CMOS chip was completely discharged and the settings reset? I can't think of anything else that would cause that problem except for the hard drive interface being in the wrong mode. A drive-geometry-setting error could cause this type of problem.

Yes, I have properly reset the CMOS, so what should I do about that "interface in the wrong mode"? Can you give me a tip about that drive-geometry-setting? what should I do in that kind of problem? Thanx in advance. tnx to u tallcool.

so what should i do about this drive geometry setting to my maxtor? After placing my maxtor hard drive into my pc1, after the memory counting process, it hangs. Then after 30 sec's then the pc will see no hard drive installed. is this problem is all about the interface in the wrong mode and drive geometry setting error? please help!

so what should i do about this drive geometry setting to my maxtor? After placing my maxtor hard drive into my pc1, after the memory counting process, it hangs. Then after 30 sec's then the pc will see no hard drive installed. is this problem is all about the interface in the wrong mode and drive geometry setting error? please help!

Is the drive jumper set to Master?

Yes, it is set to Master, I've also tried setting it to Slave. but when i set it to Master, it hangs for 30 secs maybe, then the pc will detect no drive and if i set it to Slave, it will not automatically detect the drive. I'm really confused about this problem. Please help, someone told me that it has to be the drive geometry setting error and drive interface in the wrong mode. anybody knows what to do about it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.