Hi to all !!
I have a Compaq Presario SR1602HM. Windows XP Home. I think the hard drive has went bad. When the computer is booting up, the Compaq screen shows up , then the Windows XP screen shows up but thats all. After that , its all black. I tried "safe mode" and when it goes into Windows, the words "SAFE MODE " are in the 4 cornners and it says Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service PAck 2),
at the top.
Thats it ! No warning signs or messages. Has the hard drive went bad ? I tried a different video card and get the same results.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated !!! Thank you !!!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I had already tried ctrl+alt+del , and nothing happend. I plugged up a different hard drive that I have and it fired right up. I tried hitting and clicking and yet nothing happends at all.

your hard drive is fine the problem is your boot sequence thats corrupted

cd rom is first, hard drive second. What do I need to change ?

i mean the sequence windows uses to boot

i can fix your problem

switch pc on , press f8 immediately after, logon to windows, safe mode with command prompt, logon user,type the following:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
when restore programme starts, restore to about a month back, wait for it to complete system will reboot and then work fine

I will have to try that tomorrow. Thank you for your reply ! I hope it works !

Hey Compuchip..... When I try to go into SAFE MODE WITH COMAND PROMPT, i get the same thing as if I try to go into SAFE MODE. It ends up as a black screen, with the words SAFE MODE in the 4 corrners and the words " Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service PAck 2), at the top in the middle. Is there a way I can boot straight into a comand prompt ? I tried another hard drive and it fired right up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.