Hi to all !!
I have a Compaq Presario SR1602HM. Windows XP Home. I think the hard drive has went bad. When the computer is booting up, the Compaq screen shows up , then the Windows XP screen shows up but thats all. After that , its all black. I tried "safe mode" and when it goes into Windows, the words "SAFE MODE " are in the 4 cornners and it says Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service PAck 2),
at the top.
Thats it ! No warning signs or messages. Has the hard drive went bad ? I tried a different video card and get the same results.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated !!! Thank you !!!

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Tumbleweedracef

I had already tried ctrl+alt+del , and nothing happend. I plugged up a different hard drive that I have and it fired right up. I tried hitting and clicking and yet nothing happends at all.

switch pc on , press f8 immediately after, logon to windows, safe mode with command prompt, logon user,type the following:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
when restore programme starts, restore to about a month back, wait for it to complete system will reboot and then work fine

Hey Compuchip..... When I try to go into SAFE MODE WITH COMAND PROMPT, i get the same thing as if I try to go into SAFE MODE. It ends up as a black screen, with the words SAFE MODE in the 4 corrners and the words " Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service PAck 2), at the top in the middle. Is there a way I can boot straight into a comand prompt ? I tried another hard drive and it fired right up.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.